The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

A1 shoots and misses a free throw. Before the shot goes up, you as trail and Coach A notice that B1 is standing on the line. He doesn't make a play for the rebound and is ultimately not involved in the play.

Some believe this should be called, others do not. This question is only for those that do not. I repeat, FOR ONLY THOSE THAT NO CALL.....

What do you say when Coach A respectfully asks you if you saw the violation?
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3

"I did not see it that way." Then you walk away.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Is that a little white lie?
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 08:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You do not have to explain your judgment calls to a coach ever. You do that out of courtesy and game management. The coach is going to question you when something did not happen at all, why is this any different?

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Because you are blatantly disreguarding a rule. This is not a rule "judgement", this is a rule violation.

I'm looking for a way not to lie by saying that I didn't see it, but that also sounds reasonable to the coach. Again, I said that he approached me very respectfully.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 08:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Because you are blatantly disreguarding a rule. This is not a rule "judgement", this is a rule violation.
So what you are telling me, when the coach sees something they are right? What you see as it relates to the line is judgment, that is not just a rule. A rule would be making a call about the line, then doing something else. If all you have is a toe on the line that is not obvious, I would not go around trying to get into a debate with a coach about it. Coaches think they see a lot of things and think you are clueless.

Quote:
I'm looking for a way not to lie by saying that I didn't see it, but that also sounds reasonable to the coach. Again, I said that he approached me very respectfully.

I never told you to be a jerk about it. You say what you saw or that you did not see it that way, then you move on. If you feel like you have to admit every time you make a call he does not agree with, you will be in for a long night. Because to me this is no different than a foul or a call that you do not make that he sees. You are not going to see everything the same way a coach does or agree with their point of view. Why is this any different? If you did not call it, you can tell him just about anything. If it bothers you that much, then do not miss the call. But usually, a toe on the line is not something most very experienced officials make a huge deal about.

Peace
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

If B1 is standing on the 3 point line and makes no play, I have no problem with what jrut says. If they are on the lane, it should be signalled as a delayed violation as the shot goes up, because you don't know if he is going to make a play, but I would always assume he is since he is on the lane.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
What Rut said is fine for the moment.
Try that, or try, "Really, I'll try to get a better look next time."
...or there's something like, "Yeah I saw it, but didn't feeling like calling it."

Lotsa options.
Some better, some worse.
Your personal mileage may vary.

mick
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:25am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

There's always "Dang, I gotta get my eyes checked. Could have sworn he was behind the line!"
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

"I did not see it that way." Then you walk away.

The coach is asking why you did not call the violation. You can either get into a long discussion regarding why you ignored the violation or you could tell him you didn't see it his way.

Rut's answer is short,to the point, and is NOT a lie.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I like mick's first option better, if you don't want to commit a white lie. But his second answer is one that may end up causing more grief from the coach, similar to what happened when Rut suggested it not be called, but more virulent when a coach realizes you are "picking and choosing."
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he truly is being respectful, then he might accept your honesty just fine, "I didn't think it interfered with the play or created an advantage."

Quote:
You could try, "I'll pay closer attention next time coach, thanks."

Now, if he made the shot then there is an advantage. If he missed it, then did he have anything to do with the rebound? I don't usually allow coaches to chip away (respectfully or not) when a call or a no call that they disagree with was to their advantage. In these cases, I respectfully remind them that the call or no-call was to their benefit.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
I don't usually allow coaches to chip away (respectfully or not) when a call or a no call that they disagree with was to their advantage. In these cases, I respectfully remind them that the call or no-call was to their benefit.
Not sure why they would "chip away" in such cases?!? Not if they have any clue what is happening in the game. Where I get POd is not the no-calls, but the touch foul in the backcourt called "in my favor" that takes away the fast break my player was starting when the touch occurred. Most experienced refs won't do that to you, but it happens. I don't say anything, other then a quiet "didn't need that call" to my assistant on the bench.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 11:00am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

How about, "Coach, I'm more concerned about my court presence than some stupid rule".
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 11:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
How about, "Coach, I'm more concerned about my court presence than some stupid rule".
Oh, sure you would !!!!
That would certainly take care of your Christmas tourney presence.
mick