Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

Chances are the other refs were doing their jobs and weren't watching the ball.

Nothing like a great camera angle to make fans think they're referees.
It was a great camera angle, not b/c you could see that he didn't double-dribble but b/c you could see the postion of the trail. He was completely straight-lined behind Chauncy.

I thought it was a good example of why you should not make a call if you are not in position and do not see it clearly. I was pretty suprised that he called it due to the traveling violations that happen every other play in the NBA.

That being said this is an NBA Official that is working a Conference Final so let me finish by saying that the official that was there for Prince's block was in perfect position and made a great no-call. The commentators had one thing right, they kept saying "This is a very hard game to officiate" I will second that notion!
I wrote a post about this at May 25th, 2004 01:55 AM, some 10 hours before this thread was even started. It is currently the last post in this thread: http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...6&pagenumber=3

Here is a copy:
straight-lined

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by rainmaker
Then he is straightlined and has no way to tell what actually happened.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An excellent example of this happened to Bennett Salvatore in tonight's Indiana-Detroit game. He was the Trail as Chauncey Billups was bringing the ball up the floor against very little pressure. Salvatore fell a little too far behind, and when Billups put his second hand close to the ball in front of his stomach, Salvatore thought he touched the ball with both hands (the replays showed that he clearly did not) and called a double dribble violation.
So even with only one player and an NBA referee, it happens.
Old Wed May 26, 2004, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Previous post

Actually, your post was much clearer and informative than mine. Sorry I missed it until I after opened the new thread. I didn't see a seperate thread about the call and I thought it was the kind of situation everyone can learn from.