The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 03:49pm
Suppref

A1 is 6'5" 260lbs and B1 is 6' 160lbs. Shot goes up and A1 just walks his way into the lane for a rebound. B1 is boxing out and obviously without actually pushing, A1 is able to get himself into a better rebounding position.

Do you have a foul? B1 is entitled to the space on the floor where he is standing. A1 just uses his weigtht to get to a spot.

I called A1 for the pushing foul(over the back). My partner felt it was a no call.

Your thoughts.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

If he pushed him, then yes! Foul on A1. If "incidental", no foul. I might have to see it but it sounds like you were ok with the right call.

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Jan 5th, 2001 at 03:14 PM]
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Suppref
Do you have a foul? B1 is entitled to the space on the floor where he is standing. A1 just uses his weigth to get to a spot.
A player is entitled to any spot on the floor provided that he/she gets there first without making illegal contact. Once a player has established such a position on the floor, he/she cannot displace an opponent nor be displaced from that position by an opponent.

Assuming a player has legally gained a spot on the floor, displacement at any time in the game by either the offense or defense should be called immediately. If the situation was as you described, I think you made the right call. B1 was legally there first and is protected by rule from being displaced by an opponent.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I've often felt that the bigger players are sometimes at a disadvantage in spite of their size when it comes to plays like that. A smaller player can nail him pretty hard from the official's off side and he won't be affected enough to cause the official to call a foul but he can barely bump a smaller player and disconcert him enough to get tagged. Consequently, the bigger players have to play better basketball because they are not going to get away with as much. A catch 22.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ralph,
As a coach of two huge (by our league's standards) 8th graders (6-3, 220 and 6-2, 180), I would agree that refs favoring the smaller player can be a problem for us at times - but not always. And I just got done watching 5 games where Eddy Curry (Chicago Thornwood, 6-11, 310) bodied everyone out of his way both posting up and going for rebounds. never got a sniff of foul trouble. The biggest and most skilled guy I saw guard him, Kelly Whitney, at 6-8, 220 wasn't going to be able to hold his ground against this guy, and refs didn't stop him from using his body to dislodge players. Whitney played excellent defense, too. It goes either way and probably depends on the bias of the referee.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 12:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
I've often felt that the bigger players are sometimes at a disadvantage in spite of their size when it comes to plays like that. A smaller player can nail him pretty hard from the official's off side and he won't be affected enough to cause the official to call a foul but he can barely bump a smaller player and disconcert him enough to get tagged. Consequently, the bigger players have to play better basketball because they are not going to get away with as much. A catch 22.
Ralph,
I think we have a "duty" to protect the Big players from certain acts, even though, their play is not affected.
That's been a point of interest for me for several years.
I, too, consider, at times, that the Big Bodies are held to another set of rules, and I think that is unfair when it occurs.
mick
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Hawks Coach,

Can you FAX me the birth certficates on your two 8th graders.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

First.... LMAO @ BigDave

Secondly, I AGREE with HAWKS Coach.... Each Ref is gonna call it with "his/her" set of biases...

Third, I call the PUSH... Displacement (ie disadvantage from a legally established position) by A1's body is a foul.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

First.... LMAO @ BigDave

Secondly, I AGREE with HAWKS Coach.... Each Ref is gonna call it with "his/her" set of biases...

Third, I call the "PUSH"... Displacement (ie disadvantage from a legally established position) by A1's body is a foul.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Call the foul!