Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

lie/lay .... lay rhymes with place.
Sure it does.
...Then, lie rhymes with lice?
mick
..and if you lie down with dogs you'll get fleeced....
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:

Only a few seconds behind. Don't you have a dictionary?
Dictionary? What for...I got you
Quote:
Principal...tries to be a pal. Principle ... to follow PLE.ases God.

That's what my dear, departed Grandmother taught me.

Need any more?

lie/lay .... lay rhymes with place. I lay(place) the magazine on the table. I lie myself down.

So...now I know why I never liked that "Lay Lady Lay" song, Dylan got it wrong
Quote:

Let's see...

I/me I went to the store; so, She and I went to the store. They gave me a reward; so They gave her and me a reward.

You got an award for going to the store...??
Quote:

For further information, consult an old English teacher. Heaven only knows what they teach the new ones.
I bought a bottle of Old English when I was a teenager.

My dad told me to go easy on that stuff...

Was he an Old English teacher?

Anyway, you are a font of information...thanks!
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
lie/lay .... lay rhymes with place. I lay(place) the magazine on the table. I lie myself down.

[/B]
Well, personally I've always been an easy lie too.

You shoulda known that was coming. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not, so I didn't. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 06:30pm
In Memoriam

Post I used to be a parent.

When I used to parent, I would warn the little one's that they will be hurt by playing roughly.
When they said that they were okay, I said, "Don't come running to me."
mick
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

my mistake, we had the man trapped along the baseline, and the man had no where to go, the ref called a bogus foul, thats why i got a tech for it. yes our intention was to foul to stop the clock, but since we had the man trapped in the baseline, we didnt foul, but the ref called one anyway and t'ed me up. so they shot 2 free throws cause they were in double bonus, and 2 for the tech. i understood that, but he ref claimed that since we were over the double bonus limit, the tech counts towards that and entitles the other team to another 2 free throws. now that i dont get right?
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by osantos22
my mistake, we had the man trapped along the baseline, and the man had no where to go, the ref called a bogus foul, thats why i got a tech for it. yes our intention was to foul to stop the clock, but since we had the man trapped in the baseline, we didnt foul, but the ref called one anyway and t'ed me up. so they shot 2 free throws cause they were in double bonus, and 2 for the tech. i understood that, but he ref claimed that since we were over the double bonus limit, the tech counts towards that and entitles the other team to another 2 free throws. now that i dont get right?
Are you saying he got four free throws or six? I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Also, was this a season high school game? Or a rec league that uses different rules?
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They should not have shot those last 2 free throws. I would suggest you get your hands on a set of rule books and be in a better position to argue your case with the official. This is a correctable error if it is recognized by the official during the first dead ball after the clock has properly started. Perhaps you would get further with the officials if you used a bit more diplomacy and could get your point across without getting a technical.

__________________________________________________ ______
"Man is more robust than woman, but he is not longer lived; which exactly explains my view of the nature of their attachments" - Jane Austen
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
"Man is more robust than woman, but he is not longer lived; which exactly explains my view of the nature of their attachments" - Jane Austen
Is that from Persuasion?
Old Mon May 24, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Is that from Persuasion?
Yes!
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
...we commited a foul to stop the clock, then i got a technical for arguing the call...
Huh? Why would you be arguing if you wanted a foul to be called and one was called?
That was my first reaction.

Maybe they awarded 2 extra FTs on general principal...principle...because they felt like it

(Juulie! Where are you? Help!!)
Only a few seconds behind. Don't you have a dictionary?

Principal...tries to be a pal. Principle ... to follow PLE.ases God.

That's what my dear, departed Grandmother taught me.

Need any more?

Let's see...

I/me I went to the store; so, She and I went to the store. They gave me a reward; so They gave her and me a reward.

For further information, consult an old English teacher. Heaven only knows what they teach the new ones.
Juulie,
1. Just refer Dan to this site: http://www.merriam-webster.com/
2. I've been meaning to ask you, if you could recommend a good English grammar text.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
2. I've been meaning to ask you, if you could recommend a good English grammar text.
Unfortunately, the best learning tool I had is dead. She used to drive me crazy when I was growing up, but as an adult I came to treasure her for the gem she was. I miss her every day.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, you got screwed on the number of FTs. But I'll say this too - generally when we're at a point in the game where a strategic foul is expected to stop the clock a good official will give it. And generally a good coach will take the foul, keep his mouth shut and hope his opponent misses his FTs. Even if he thought his team might have been in a good position when "the bogus" foul was called.

I'm not defending your officials, I'm just pointing this out to you so you'll know how to act if I happen to work one of your games

Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the best learning tool I had is dead. She used to drive me crazy when I was growing up,
My dad's still around if you need somebody to drive you crazy about your grammar. . .
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the best learning tool I had is dead. She used to drive me crazy when I was growing up,
My dad's still around if you need somebody to drive you crazy about your grammar. . .
Don't bother your dad, we already have you to drive us crazy.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 10:09am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Both of my Grammars are deceased.