The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 21, 1999, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard that the federation test is on the internet. Does anyone know the website address?
Old Sun Nov 21, 1999, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

The NFHS is a horrible test. You can't learn anything from it. Want a better test? Send me your snail mail address and $1 and I'll send a better "educational" test to you.
Old Mon Nov 22, 1999, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I won't disagree with you about the quality of the test. But it does show who opens up their rulebook, officials manual, illustrated rules book and their casebook, as every question is found in one of these four.
My address: [email protected]
Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 25, 1999, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

The National Federation test may not be the best test available. But as stated above it really shows who reads their books and who does not. It should be given to everyone at least every 2 years. Many officials (Indiana) take the open book test 1 time, and never have to take it again. And never bother to open a book. I know several officials who are 10 years behind the rules.

Officials need to read the material provided to the by the state association and the national federation. Stop the gripe, especially if you bother not to read the rule books. Know your rules!!!!
Old Tue Dec 07, 1999, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I just got Part I back and made a 96 but really a 100 cause all 4 of the questions I missed are correct according to the rule book.The 4 questions are:
41 which I have correct.
43 which I have correct.
75 which I have correct.
82 which I have correct.
The only one that might be incorrect is 75 which adds the statement "and referee". But the next statement (rule 5.5.3) says "nonvarsity" games can be shortened by mutual agreement of coaches. What referee in his right mind would not shorten a quarter(s) if the coaches wanted too? Dumb question if referee has to be apart of the answer.
Old Tue Dec 07, 1999, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

41 which I have correct.

False, since the coach or captain designates the shooter on a T. (8-3)

43 which I have correct.

False, only one book T. (10-1-1)

82 which I have correct.

False. It's only BI to touch the net if the ball is on or within the basket. The imaginary cylinder rule only applies when touching the ball. (9-11)

The only one that might be incorrect is 75 which adds the statement "and referee".

Right, which is why it is False...

Dumb question if referee has to be apart of the answer.

There were other questions on the test that were far dumber...
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

I am looking for help regarding part 1 test question # 20.

I selected False, as the player needs to report OR be in posiiton to report, per rule 3.3.1.a.

My state association says the correct answer is TRUE. Doesn't a substitute report and return to his huddle, thus they are no longer "in posiiton"?

Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Shamrock86, you're right, of course. Unfortunately, the NF answer key had 5 or 6 mistakes, including #20. Apparently, your state just accepted the NF answer on this one.

Other questions the key has as True but should be False include #10, #23, #42, and #64. Lovely, eh?
Old Wed Dec 08, 1999, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Ken and Shamrock:

I agree in all but two questions:

#42. while 10-4, Penalty Note states "...the second technical foul charged to any bench personnel, other than the head coach, results in disqualification of the offender," it doesn't say that it is flagrant. It is implied, but not specific.

#64. wasn't this changed 1 or 2 years ago. Before we had to notify both the coach and player before he became bench personnel. Now, once you notify the coach he can be assessed a tech as a bench person should he mouth off as he is leaving the court.

I also missed #10 and #23, as they are incorrect as written. Yes there is more to the answer, but I always learned that you cannot read anything into these questions. If it is not stated in the note at the top of the test, then nothing else should be used when answering the question.

And as always, I did not miss a question regarding a specific rule. But that is the nature of this test, in basketball, in softball, and I,m sure in other National Federation test.

Have a great season.
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Ken and b_stillman:

I also had #42 as true per rule 10.4, penalty note. Illinois has this answer as TRUE.

#64. I have this as false, since rule 2.8.4 states coach, then player, whereas the question has player, then coach.

Interesting in Illinois we were given credit regardless of our answer for # 10,64,69, & 78. I understand # 69, as in Illinois we use the coaches box so the correct answer should be false, but per federation, this is true. As far as # 78 ????

I originally got 97/100. I had # 6, 20, & 23 marked as incorrect. I feel stongly about my answers to # 20 (false)# 23 (false). I am definetly wrong on #6, forgot about "on or by the airborne shooter".

Thanks and have a great season.

[This message has been edited by Shamrock86 (edited December 08, 1999).]
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

The member who asked about the NFHS test being on the internet should visit the Athletic Rules Study (ARS) website at www.rules-study.com. ARS offers an NFHS approved electronic version of the NFHS tests that include 1000 test questions.

I apologize if you consider this advertizing but it does address the question that was asked and understand that the NFHS receives a portion of the revenues for this software. Finally the ARS software is strictly dedicated to supporting officials and the NFHS rules.
Old Thu Dec 09, 1999, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I also had #42 as true per rule 10.4, penalty note. Illinois has this answer as TRUE.

Currently there's nothing in the Rule Book that says that the 2nd T on an assistant coach is "flagrant", so i say it's False. Apparently, the "flagrant" part used to be in the rules, but was deleted since it's utterly irrelevant to how the rule is applied: he's still ejected.

Interesting in Illinois we were given credit regardless of our answer for # 10,64,69, & 78....As far as # 78 ????

While #78 is straight out of the rule book (6-3-1), i imagine that IL threw out the question cuz too many officials confused "start the alternating procedure" with "getting the arrow first". Again, the semantics are irrelevant to how the rule is applied...