The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

2 minutes left in a close girls varsity game. Team B calls a timeout. During timeout, coach from team A comes over to me and informs me B1 has threatened A1 with physical abuse i.e., she's going to punch her lights out next time up the court. How would you handle this potentially dangerous situation? I'm going to hold off telling you what I did because I don't want it to influence your opinions/thoughts. Thanks.

__________________________________________________ ________
"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."--Albert Einstein
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

I would tell the coach, "Okay, I'll keep an eye on her."

And that's what I'd do.

But I'm not going to play "He said, she said."
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:30pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

And that's what I'd do.

I think this is all you can do at this point.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

And that's what I'd do.

I think this is all you can do at this point.
Let me add that I believed A1 coach - B1 had threatened the other player - B1 was big, physical, brash, "in your face" kind of player who definitely was capable of threatening players. And saying I'd keep an eye on her was too reactive, passive, insufficient....I wanted to AVOID issuing any flagrants. Up until now game had been exciting, clean, contest between 2 evenly matched teams - I wanted tokeep it that way.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Pull both coaches and both players together and tell the players, "I dont know and I don't want to know who started any problems you two may be having, but there will be no "insert your phrasing here" going on out there (the court)."
Most questions that come up after that can be answered by,
"That's not important, lets just play ball."

Old Wed May 19, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Pull both coaches and both players together and tell the players, "I dont know and I don't want to know who started any problems you two may be having, but there will be no "insert your phrasing here" going on out there (the court)."

Hmm, but I didnt want to single out these 2 players. I was concerned that A1 would suffer repercusions from B1 possibly after the game????
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Since I haven't herad any other opinions/thoughts, I'll tell you what I did and maybe that will generate agreement/disagreement.

First, I went to team B bench. I told them, without mentioning any names, that they were allowed to talk among their own teammates. Any other talking, would not be allowed and if it occurred a T would be issued in accordance with the good sportsmanship rule. B1 gave a sneer and a look of disgust. Her coach told B1 and the rest of his players to abide by what I said. He was in full agreement. I told them I was giving the same instructions to team A.

I then went over to Team A bench and gave the same schpeel (or speech if you are not from NY).

By the way team B was leading by one at the time and ended up winning the game by the same margin. No incidents the rest of the game. Both coaches came over to me after the game and applauded me for the way I handled the situation. I lucked out this time. You win some, you lose some, and a few get rained out!
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 12:34am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
You win some, you lose some, and a few get rained out!
I've had a game suspended due to a electrical surge, but I have yet in 20 years to have a basketball game rained out

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Both coaches came over to me after the game and applauded me for the way I handled the situation. I lucked out this time. You win some, you lose some, and a few get rained out!
You didn't luck out. YOu won out in this situation by your capability and panache. Great job!
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 02:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:
I've had a game suspended due to a electrical surge, but I have yet in 20 years to have a basketball game rained out

I've had 2 games rained out - both in old high schools with leaky roofs. Water on the court, and just too dangerous to play. Also had kinda similar one with a wet floor, but couldn't really call it a rain-out. Visiting JV team, before they left their dressing room after their game, put towels over the drains and then left the showers running. The visiting Varsity team was in a different dressing room. About 5 minutes into the first quarter of the Varsity game, we had water pouring out onto the court from under the door to that dressing room. Ended up having to call the game. Lots of suspensions, etc. on that one.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Is this not one of those situations though where maybe saying something is not called for??? Just me, but it seems like it comes close to an official physically restraining players from coming off the bench during a fight. The official has in essence prevented action that could be beneficial to the other team. Now maybe that is the response that Coach A wanted, but then again in a close game I'm sure he wouldn't have minded having 2 extra FT's and one of B's "big, physical" players off the court. I just think saying anything tip-toes the line between coaching and officiating.

I do want to make it clear that I'm not condoning letting players duke it out or letting play get overly rough, but in my opinion, the way to stop it is enforcing the rules and popping her with a Flagarent or Tech when the sitch calls for it.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stat-Man
Quote:

Then you haven't been officiating enough basketball
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Is this not one of those situations though where maybe saying something is not called for??? Just me, but it seems like it comes close to an official physically restraining players from coming off the bench during a fight. The official has in essence prevented action that could be beneficial to the other team. Now maybe that is the response that Coach A wanted, but then again in a close game I'm sure he wouldn't have minded having 2 extra FT's and one of B's "big, physical" players off the court. I just think saying anything tip-toes the line between coaching and officiating.

I do want to make it clear that I'm not condoning letting players duke it out or letting play get overly rough, but in my opinion, the way to stop it is enforcing the rules and popping her with a Flagarent or Tech when the sitch calls for it.
I'm sorry, I don't buy it for a minute. That's like the cops saying they can't do anything until after a crime is committed. The fact is, they, and you, can do something. TravelinMan did something. BRAVO! Ignoring it could have led to serious injury, a major brawl, and who knows what else. If you are in a position to do something to keep that from happening, I believe your moral responsibility far outweighs the need for detachment. I could go on about reporters watching a kid die to get the photo rather than providing care and the like (I guess I just did), but I won't rant any more.
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 07:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
I've had 2 games rained out - both in old high schools with leaky roofs.
I've only had one leaky (lotsa towels)almost finished, new school roof.
mick
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm

Hmm, but I didnt want to single out these 2 players. I was concerned that A1 would suffer repercusions from B1 possibly after the game????
In that case, I think your actions were best. But I am curious about the repercussions after the game part. Did you think there would be a fight? How well did you know the player in question? Games are frequently closely contested with words and a push here or there, what made this one different?

Regardless of the answers to those questions, I still think your actions were best.