View Single Post
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
Is this not one of those situations though where maybe saying something is not called for??? Just me, but it seems like it comes close to an official physically restraining players from coming off the bench during a fight. The official has in essence prevented action that could be beneficial to the other team. Now maybe that is the response that Coach A wanted, but then again in a close game I'm sure he wouldn't have minded having 2 extra FT's and one of B's "big, physical" players off the court. I just think saying anything tip-toes the line between coaching and officiating.

I do want to make it clear that I'm not condoning letting players duke it out or letting play get overly rough, but in my opinion, the way to stop it is enforcing the rules and popping her with a Flagarent or Tech when the sitch calls for it.
I'm sorry, I don't buy it for a minute. That's like the cops saying they can't do anything until after a crime is committed. The fact is, they, and you, can do something. TravelinMan did something. BRAVO! Ignoring it could have led to serious injury, a major brawl, and who knows what else. If you are in a position to do something to keep that from happening, I believe your moral responsibility far outweighs the need for detachment. I could go on about reporters watching a kid die to get the photo rather than providing care and the like (I guess I just did), but I won't rant any more.