View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

When you are designated as the R, what is your pregame speech? This could get lengthy, but I'm interested! I hear so many ones that are TOO long. I try to keep my as short and concise as possible. The players hardly ever remember what you say anyway, plus, the coaches don't really want to be involved in the whole ordeal. Here's mine:

"Coaches, I need to know a few things before we get started tonight (or this afternoon). One, are you players properly equipped?" [They answer (usually, either 'Yes.' or 'As far as I know.')] "Two, who will be calling your TO's?" [They answer with either myself or my assistant right there (they'll point to the informing assistant.)] (Note: I realize the coach will be calling the TO, but I want to know if he or an assistant will be clarifying a 30 or full so I know who to look at on my way to reporting to the bench.) [Once they answer, I ask them to be sure to let the officials know ASAP whether it will be a 30 or a full. Next, I usually throw in a point of emphasis for the year...this year usually about the new bench decorum or no yelling of 'Foul, foul, foul..' at the end of a close game.] Then I ask, "Coaches, are there any questions we can answer for you?" [They always have none...and by now they're looking rather bored!]

Next, I address the players:
"How are you guys (or girls) tonight (or this afternoon)?" [They always say, 'Fine.' or 'Okay.'] Then, "Your coaches have made you the captains of your teams because he believes you are the leaders of your team. Is that right?" [That usually draws a smile...kind of like, 'Oh really, the coach must be crazy then!'] I continue, "Well, because you are the captains of your respective teams, my partner & I need your help tonight. We need you to help us out with sportsmanship. We need you to set good examples of sportsmanship. If things start to get out of hand, we need you to step up and take control of your teams. My partner & I don't want to have to do it. We want you to. To help you out, please feel free to come and talk to us anytime you need to. We'll come talk to you anytime we need to. When we talk, please listen to us. Okay?" [This usually draws a nod from some or all of the captains.] Then, "Partner, do you want to add anything?" [He usually doesn't.] Then, "Who will be my speaking captain?" [One from each team usually lifts up his/her jersey to show us the number.] Finally I say, "Okay, wish each other good luck and let's have a good game!"