View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 06, 2001, 12:34am
In Memoriam

Question more info, please

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Jerry - My jaw dropped when I read that the Coach hired the officials... Is this at the Varsity Level?

I agree With Commish... "Our first responsibility, of course, is the 10 kids on the floor."

I agree with Mick... Coaching box, Smooching box, whatever... Officials have the tools to deal with the coaches who "Cross the line" (Where ever it may be laid on the court)

Two points:

1) The 6 ft coaching box in an OhioHSAA invention that the NFHS finally adopted. And now for the last 2 yrs the coaching box in Ohio is from the hash mark to the last team personel on the bench so if you bring lots of assistant coaches, managers, and trainers your bench can be all of the way to the end line. The only thing the home school cannot do is make so the visiting team has a smaller coaching box than the home team.

2) Do not be suprised about a state where the coaches picks the officials. That is how it works in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. If you officiate the game the way it is supposed to be done and not how the coaches want it you will not officiate, and NW Ohio is the worst area in the state for coaches pulling the strings of the officials. I have officiated in Ohio, California, Michigan, and Florida, and the officials from Ohio and Michigan can't compare to the other two states because they have to please the coaches instead of calling the game the way it is supposed to be done.
Mark,
Having had such experiences, are there any advantages/disadvantages to the Officials that you have noticed? Like better/worse "on floor" relationships with fans, coaches, players, police?
Or does it just detract from the "freedom of expression" that an official may exercise?
mick