The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 11:44am
certified Hot Mom tester

Last night I worked with a guy who is a 7 year veteran. We had a play where A1 was bringing the ball up court and picked up her dribble just before the division line. She established her left foot as her pivot, then stepped over the line with her right foot and just stood there while being guarded. After a few seconds, my partner (trail)called a 5 second closely guarded call.

I didn't challenge him but asked him about it at a break. I asked him how he could have that call in that situation. He said the player put her foot in the front court, so the count was legitimate. I discussed this being a wrong interpretation and I could tell he didn't understand the rule about being in the front court.

He then said, "Oh, well. She was there for so long it probably was a 10 second backcourt violation anyway."

I just shook my head.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sucks to be you.

Next time you work with him make sure you cover in the pregame which rules you are throwing out that night.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

In California....

... his call is correct. For women (original post said "her") there is no 10-second count for the backcourt, but the 5-second closely guarded applies anywhere on the court, but only if the ball is held (no dribble).

Its tough to comment without knowing if you have any rule deviations....
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Of course, we do not know the level of play. Federation rules require both feet and the ball be in front court before a 5 second count can begin. If memory serves me, the ONLY count you can have in the back court is the 10 second count.
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 06:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Straight NF rules right out of the book.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NBA2003 Send a message via Yahoo to NBA2003
Richard-

Good call. I am also in California and this would be a 5 second violation. Does this rule apply any where else?

Scott
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NBA2003
Richard-

Good call. I am also in California and this would be a 5 second violation. Does this rule apply any where else?

Scott
Up here in the great white north of British Columbia it would apply.

keep smiling
SH
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: In California....

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
For women (original post said "her") there is no 10-second count for the backcourt, but the 5-second closely guarded applies anywhere on the court, but only if the ball is held (no dribble).

Ogg- In NF, these rules are not correct. I believe that California is the deviation here. In NF, the only count in the back court is the 10-second count. My understanding of the NF rules, is that Mark is correct. It may be that a 10-second count could have properly been called, but it wasn't -- and the 5-second count didn't apply.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: In California....

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ogg
For women (original post said "her") there is no 10-second count for the backcourt, but the 5-second closely guarded applies anywhere on the court, but only if the ball is held (no dribble).

Ogg- In NF, these rules are not correct. I believe that California is the deviation here. In NF, the only count in the back court is the 10-second count. My understanding of the NF rules, is that Mark is correct. It may be that a 10-second count could have properly been called, but it wasn't -- and the 5-second count didn't apply.
Most places that have a shot clock use NCAA rules. Under women's NCAA rules, there is no 10-second backcourt count (or violation); the team could remain in the backcourt for the duration of the shot clock. There is, however a five-second closely guarded count in the backcourt. (In NCAA women's "closely guarded" is only while holding the ball -- not while dribbling).

Men's NCAA backcourt and closely guarded rules are the same as FED.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2001, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

So what rules do you use in California?