The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

dblref
Did you do the Vogues regional this weekend at Westfield?

We had two well-reffed games yesterday and today. The pair today really hustled, called a nice consistent game - makes it fun to play when the game is called well.

Would have been more fun if we had won
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Hawk's Coach: Sorry it took so long to answer, but I finished moving into my new home this weekend and did not check the site until this morning.

I worked at Westfield, court #2, on Friday night (2 games) and 1 game at Madison on Saturday. My first game on Friday was pretty good - Vogues (13 year olds?)were up by 8 or 9 and the Flames (MD team?) came back to win on free throws at the end. The 2nd game was a 40-odd point game. The losing team only had 6 players, but to their credit, they never quit. The 2 games on court #1 were big-time blowouts. The 8:15pm game ended up something like 132 - 25. Think it was 55 - 8 at half. The losing team was terrible and according to the officials, they never played defense and the winning team simply "cherry-picked" and ran layups all night.

On Saturday, I had the 11:00 game between the Potomac Valley Aces(?), orange uniforms, and a team from MD called the Hawks - green/white uniforms. I was wondering during the game if it was your team and I asked the coach (black gentleman) at the end if he ever visited this site. Turns out it wasn't you.

If you tell me what times you played, I'll find out who the officials were.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

We played two games, both court 2. Had the Vogues on Saturday morning, Fairfax Stars on sunday (the two teams you had on Friday night - it was Fairfax that came back to beat the Vogues). The Flames would have been your second game.

We got two quick losses - our first trip home early in several years. Oh well - those are the silver and bronze medalists from last year, so we got medal round teams in pool play.

The weak game you heard about was a team our club never should have fielded - a bunch of players who weren't picked in tryouts that a Dad volunteered to coach. None of them have played serious ball, and at this age it's a big jump into AAU. They played a tremendous team, but they shouldn't be playing in these kind of tournaments.

As for Hawks, that was a different regional - don't know who they are. My Hawks were a boys team that has long since ceased to exist!
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Oh - forgot times. 10:15 Saturday and 5:00 (actual times may vary ) on Sunday. Our last game was cancelled because our opponents didn't want to play us.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Oh - forgot times. 10:15 Saturday and 5:00 (actual times may vary ) on Sunday. Our last game was cancelled because our opponents didn't want to play us.
Don't you just luv a forfeit when you have driven an hour or better to get there. Had a 3-game set last year (non AAU) and the assignor told me right before I left the house that the middle game was a forfeit, but we would play the 1st and 3rd games. Got to the gym and the 1st game was a forfeit because of a no-show. Believe it or not, the 3rd game wound up as a forfeit for the same reason. Got paid for 3 games that I didn't have to do and wasted about 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref

Don't you just luv a forfeit when you have driven an hour or better to get there.

No.

We do flag football about 15 minutes from campus (walking). First games on Saturdays and Sundays are at 9am. College students being college students, we often get to work at 8 to set up, only to find the first set of games are cancelled because no one shows up.

Of course, it used to be much worse when it was the frat league that played first thing in the morning.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Don't you just luv a forfeit when you have driven an hour or better to get there. Had a 3-game set last year (non AAU) and the assignor told me right before I left the house that the middle game was a forfeit, but we would play the 1st and 3rd games. Got to the gym and the 1st game was a forfeit because of a no-show. Believe it or not, the 3rd game wound up as a forfeit for the same reason. Got paid for 3 games that I didn't have to do and wasted about 4 hours on a Saturday afternoon.
At least their coach stayed around to tell us that they wouldn't come back to play the last game, so we weren't sitting around waiting to play a game that wasn't. But we pay $375 for a 3 game guarantee, and get two. Second time we got hosed by a team this year. I'm not impressed. And we will raise it with the Potomac Valley Association, because this is a regional tournament and I think this violates PVAAU standards.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:25am
Huck Finn

Where are you guys from? I officiate in the DC area and I have seen some of the teams you are talking about. Dblref, if you do IAABO, what board do you belong to? I didn't have any idea you guys were in this area.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Where are you guys from? I officiate in the DC area and I have seen some of the teams you are talking about. Dblref, if you do IAABO, what board do you belong to? I didn't have any idea you guys were in this area.
I am with Cardinal Basketball Officials Association. We cover the majority of high schools within the Northern and Northwestern Regions of northern VA. There is at least one other Cardinal official (RecRef) on this site. We are somehow affiliated with one of the IAABO boards (think it is Board 12) for tax purposes. You can check our web page at http://www.cboa.org.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 05:11am
Huck Finn

dblref, do you work for anyone else in the local area? I know some of the guys in Cardinal.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Tomegun who do you work for? I am IAABO 134 in PG County.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:29am
Huck Finn

Brian, we probably know each other. Yep, I just checked another site, we know each other. Do you work for MACBOA?
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
dblref, do you work for anyone else in the local area? I know some of the guys in Cardinal.
Nope, only Cardinal. I can work as many games (hs and rec) as I want to with them. I started out in Bull Run, but switched to Cardinal when my son graduated HS. We do have some officials that also belong to Bull Run. I think we have a couple of officials that also belong to Quantico.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Tomegun, yes I do work for MACBOA! Do you work for them as well?

[Edited by brianp134 on May 13th, 2004 at 09:22 AM]