The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

I just think its OK to switch uniform every few years as we, the players, the coaches & the fans will feel not so bored about us. Of course, professional look should come first.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
... as we, the players, the coaches & the fans will feel not so bored about us...
Boredom is not a big problem around here, chin, although we've been wearing the same type of shirt for 50 years or more. Maybe it's time for you to move up to the next level of play!
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

the game can be played without coaches
the game can be played without officials
the game cannot be played without players,

I don't think the parents usually think about what the refs are wearing.

Although, i was watching some of the european professional on that NBA channel. The refs were wearing RED shirts, like those a soccer official would wear. I couldn't believe it, they looked so awful, and their 3-man mechanics were a bit off, they had 2 centres instead of 1 centre and a trail, but that's another topic.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

Although, i was watching some of the european professional on that NBA channel. The refs were wearing RED shirts, like those a soccer official would wear. I couldn't believe it, they looked so awful, and their 3-man mechanics were a bit off, they had 2 centres instead of 1 centre and a trail, but that's another topic.
I get called "blue" all the time by players, fans and coaches so who knows what they are thinking!
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Boredom is not a big problem around here, chin, although we've been wearing the same type of shirt for 50 years or more. Maybe it's time for you to move up to the next level of play! [/B][/QUOTE]

I always want to move up no matter how good I think I am. That's why I want to come to one of camps in summer, if I can afford it. Any suggestion, Julie
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually the Union of European Basketball Leagues has a deal with Sara Lee (Champion) for their uniforms and the officials have two color combinations and the shirt rules are similar to soccer -- the scheme which does not look too similar to one team's jersey will be the one worn. If one team's jersey is blue, then the officials wear red. If one team's jersey is red, the officials wear blue. ULEB is also pondering working with the NBA on more officials training and many believe the ULEB prefers to work with the NBA instead of FIBA, which has shorn the ULEB referees, and the ULEB struck back by adopting the NBA's jump ball rule instead of the NCAA rules used by FIBA. (Hank Nichols is on the FIBA rules panel.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the NBA help the ULEB in training officials.

I also have been talking with some officials for next year's youth leagues and one proposal is to officially go gray because of the studies between traditional stripes and the NBA/FIBA gray.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Up in Northern ONtario, we started the transition to stripes this year, by wearing them for Championship games and in tournaments.

Next year, we're all going with stripes.

I think it looks good.

REn
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
Boredom is not a big problem around here, chin, although we've been wearing the same type of shirt for 50 years or more. Maybe it's time for you to move up to the next level of play!
I always want to move up no matter how good I think I am. That's why I want to come to one of camps in summer, if I can afford it. Any suggestion, Julie [/B][/QUOTE]

Camp where? Where are you now? What level do you work now? How many years experience? What rules do you want to learn under?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:

I get called "blue" all the time by players, fans and coaches so who knows what they are thinking!
I've mistakenly called basketball refs "blue" before. It's a baseball thing.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Last year I started wearing the black "body armour" under my strips and it feels great.

Old Sat May 15, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

That body armour stuff is expensive, i think it costs about the same as the striped shirt.

I think i'm just gonna get the McDavid Shirts.
Old Sun May 16, 2004, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Ref18 UnderArmor and McDavid or about the same price and almost the same product. I've worn both back when I was playing football and my underarmors were more resistant to tears than were the McDavid. Both are fine products. I havnt used McDavid for basketball so I couldnt tell ya. I can get my under-armors pretty cheap.
Old Sun May 16, 2004, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
.... my underarmors were more resistant to tears than were the McDavid.
Is that teers as in crying? Or tares as in ripping? I wouldn't think ripping would be an issue in basketball. crying would depend on the level of play.
Old Sun May 16, 2004, 07:57am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
.... my underarmors were more resistant to tears than were the McDavid.
Is that teers as in crying? Or tares as in ripping? I wouldn't think ripping would be an issue in basketball. crying would depend on the level of play.
Oh,deer!
Old Sun May 16, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That body armour stuff is expensive, i think it costs about the same as the striped shirt.

I think i'm just gonna get the McDavid Shirts.
I was referring to the striped shirts made of the Intera fabric. I don't think under armour makes striped shirts, how ever the compression shorts that i have are made by under armour, and i am very pleased with their performance. They were just a bit expensive.