Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

..now if the coach turns up in the hospital in the next few weeks, I would commend the dad for that also!
I'm a pacifist in theory, but I'm with you here.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

How about "cruel and unusual punishment"?. No, wait a second, that's in divorce cases. And I don't think those grounds are valid anymore. Although I suffered C&UP!
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Pleasantville Middle School coach James Guillen

Guillen, 24, a special education teacher at the school

----------------------------------------------------

Notice the age of this guy. He is barely old enough to drink. Is it really that surprising that someone so young would pull an immature stunt like this?
Nevada, I have to disagree with you - age has nothing to do with it. It's a sensitivity/kindness issue. Blaming it on age is selling some very good young people short. I would be more concerned about this teacher instructing spec ed children as they require constant esteem-building, approval and encouragement.

Reagrding the age thing, let me tell you a little story concerning my older daughter (an honor student thoughout HS and college and a good kid to boot). She was in an automobile accident when she was 17. It was a rainy night; she told me she had stopped at a stop sign, looked both ways then continued; car came around bend at high speed from other direction; they hit. The other car owner's insurance company said they had witnesses that saw her go through the stop sign without stopping; And they said these witnesses were OLDER ADULTS. Implication - who do you believe - older adults or a 17 year old. This infuriated me. Honesty is not an age thing either.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

..now if the coach turns up in the hospital in the next few weeks, I would commend the dad for that also!
I'm a pacifist in theory, but I'm with you here.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
??

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Albert Einstein
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't really keep up with the lawsuits filed against educators, do you??? Having had one filed against me after making a student sit in the back of the class for too much talking and disrupting other students (no, it didn't go anywhere and I didn't lose any money, but did lose a lot of sleep and several years of life-expectancy),
Basically, that was my point rocky. They could sue, but it probably wouldn't go anywhere. At least it shouldn't. Let me clearly state that I think what this guy did was wrong. I just think that it was legal, and that these type of incidents should be taken care of out of court.

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Nevada, I have to disagree with you - age has nothing to do with it. It's a sensitivity/kindness issue. Blaming it on age is selling some very good young people short.
You make some good points, but I still believe that we become wiser and make better decisions with age. Some people just take longer to grow-up than others. I put myself into that category.
I probably shouldn't write this on the Internet, but what the heck...
I know I made some poor decisions in my early 20s. For those of us who weren't raised under ideal conditions, all that we can do is learn as we go. Hopefully, that will be enough. Your daughter should consider herself very fortunate.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Where are the boundaries Nevada? You put your kid in school, he chooses to play on a school team. The coach uses the end of season banquet to humiliate him publicly in front of teammates and family. I am not a big fan of using the court system to question a coach's motivational techniques, but this crosses a clear line in my book.

It may not be a crime, but it can certainly result in a legitimate civil case.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 12:00pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
You don't really keep up with the lawsuits filed against educators, do you??? Having had one filed against me after making a student sit in the back of the class for too much talking and disrupting other students (no, it didn't go anywhere and I didn't lose any money, but did lose a lot of sleep and several years of life-expectancy),
Basically, that was my point rocky. They could sue, but it probably wouldn't go anywhere. At least it shouldn't. Let me clearly state that I think what this guy did was wrong. I just think that it was legal, and that these type of incidents should be taken care of out of court.
Let me be clear that the only reason it didn't go to court was because I subscribe totally to the CYA method of dealing with behavior issues in my classes...I had all the documentation from phone calls home, parent conferences, referrals to the office, etc., and diagrams of the classroom that showed that where I moved him did not impact his learning environment, just isolated him from the kids he was disturbing...their lawyer looked at all of that documentation and left the room...had I not done all that, I would have lost and been liable (advice from my lawyer)...in the case of this idiot coach, what documentation could he provide other than that he knowingly and purposefully humiliated this kid by using his position of authority and influence as a school district employee...there could easily be civil action here...
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, let me say that I think giving the whining award was a very bad idea, but is this really national news? I work with kids and isn't it possible that this guy was looking for a way to get through to him? I use some sarcasm and a smile at times and it works. Could have this been a "tongue in cheek" award? I haven't followed the story all that closely, but I've never seen the coach's side of the story. Did anyone say that the kid was not a whiner? I have no problem with the guy losing his coaching job, but losing his teaching job is a whole different matter (as many of you have said). Kids that age say far worse things to each other on a daily basis, if this incident is going to "scar" him for the rest of his life, so badly that a civil suit can be filed, the kid has more problems than being a whiner. Just my $.02. I think we all have more important issues to be reading about on the national level.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down If you can't see this as a problem. . .

First, there are clearly more important issues on the national level - this is more in the gossipy kind of news. It is another black mark on youth sports when stuff like this occurs.

However, if you equate kids razzing each other with this award, there is no comparison in my opinion. They had an end of season honors banquet and this coach went out of his way to single out one kid with a gag award. He specially invited him to come, and the kid came thining he was getting a special honor. It wasn't a laughing with you kind of award, it was a laughing at you kind of award - intended to motivate?!?

And yes, this kind of public humiliation from an authority figure and delivered in front of adults and fellow teammates is completely without any reasonable defense in my opinion. The coach's defense of it is weak as well. And this stunt would have far greater psychological impact then another kid hassling him would have.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 01:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Hawkscoach,

Just a hypothetical question (my favorite kind), but what if the coach had given out several gag awards at the banquet. Such as the "You get it award" for the player who didn't like to hustle, or the "runaway stagecoach award" for the player with the most PC fouls?
My biggest problem with this story is that the coach made a concerted effort to set the kid up, and then gave this kid the only "gag" award. I wonder what I'd think if the coach had given other similar awards, in which case the kid couldn't have claimed to have been "singled out."
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

I would have less problem with it if it was part of a set of gag awards. But as a coach, I don't think I would be doing this in an awards banquet with guests present. If I was inclined to do this, I would do this with the team only, and everybody would get something, and they could get me too. What's good for the goose . . .

That said, I think these kind of things generally are not the best idea. You think something is fun and/or funny, but a kid takes it quite differently and potentially quite personally. I think that the authority figures in kids lives need to know how to change behavior in a positive direction without turning a kid off or hurting them.

I try (not always successful) to monitor what is happening with my players so I can tell who is responding to what type of coaching. Lots of different personalities out there, as a coach you need to know how to effectively reach every kid. So some may like a joking reference to the way they are playing, others may need to be taken aside and counseled on their play or behavior, and some may want direct words that directly correct their actions. And the same kid may need different approaches for different issues.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
if this incident is going to "scar" him for the rest of his life, so badly that a civil suit can be filed, the kid has more problems than being a whiner.
If he DOES have bigger problems than being a whiner, this was especially egregious. Troubled kids need the most TLC, not insensitive jabs in the solar plexus.

And this jerk works with kids who have far bigger problems than being whiners, and is this how he treats them, too? A complete lack of comprehension of what a normal kid faces doesn't look like a very good trait in a special ed teacher.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

The point of my reply was that we are only getting one side of the story. I'm not saying giving the trophy was right, but how do we know that he hadn't been trying "TLC" all season and was out of options. Everyone needs a kick in the rear at times. There just seems to be a growing trend to take the kid's side in every disagreement with adults. I have seen a couple of good coaches lose positions because of personality conflicts with kids. The kid complains to the parent, the parent complains to the school and the coach loses his job. This guy is a young coach, he made a mistake. It shouldn't be national news, and it shouldn't end his career.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe he did try all season, but that would be all the more reason not to do this at the awards banquet. Obviously there are issues here, the method chosen to resolve them demonstrates extremely poor judgment. This is not a question of whether or not the kid was a PITA, it's a question of whether it is proper to address the interpersonal problems at the awards banquet.

There are many other ways to handle this. I am sypathetic to the (potential) problem, just not the solution.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
The point of my reply was that we are only getting one side of the story. I'm not saying giving the trophy was right, but how do we know that he hadn't been trying "TLC" all season and was out of options. Everyone needs a kick in the rear at times. There just seems to be a growing trend to take the kid's side in every disagreement with adults.
I dunno...if my 12 year old son had a middle school basketball coach who felt he needed to usurp my parental authority and publicly humiliate my son because he ran out of options with my son and he felt my son needed a kick in the rear then for sure my going after his job would be the very least of his problems.

Kick in the rear. C'mon.