The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

The Lakers scored with something under a second left, and after review, .4 seconds were put back on the clock.

For purposes of figuring out how much time should remain, what exactly are they looking for on the video? I've always understood (much embarrassment if this is incorrect) that the clock stops on a made goal (when the rules require such a stoppage) when the goal is recognized not when it is scored.

The announcers were of the view that the clock should be reset to when the goal was good, but clearly less time was put on the clock than when the ball completed its trip through the basket. What good is video in this situation, and what is being reviewed?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:21pm
Esteemed Participant

Uhmmmm, I watched that game, and have NO clue what you are talking about! The Spurs scored (Tim Duncan fall away) and the clock was correctly stopped. The Lakers called a time-out, but I don't remember the clock being changed - they looked at it and said the 0.4 seconds were correct...did I miss something???
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

No, that's correct -- I was simply typing too fast when I said "were put back." I simply meant it was reviewed.

Forget about last night. I was just using it to introduce the question.

The question is, when consulting reply to determine the correct time on the clock after a made basket in a situation where a made basket stops the clock, what is being reviewed and what visual evidence is being consulted to determine the correct amount of clock time. For example, when a foul is committed before the end of the game, usually the review for determining time on the clock is to look for when the signal for the foul was made (not when the foul is committed). The announcers said last night the clock should stop when the basket is made. Is that correct?
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Question

My question is, why did they get to take the ball out on the side line? Did I miss something while in the bathroom?

The two shots made, both lucky....very lucky!
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

NBA Rules

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
My question is, why did they get to take the ball out on the side line? Did I miss something while in the bathroom?

The two shots made, both lucky....very lucky!
Because in the NBA, when a timeout is called with less than 2 minutes, they ball goes to around half court. Not the case in the other codes (FIBA does not count ).

Peace
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well that sucks! They get paid the big bucks, lets make it exciting and go full court.

Or lets change the rules so they only have to "clear it" like we did as kids on a half court!
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
All calls with the clock were correct in the game. Well called game. I saw most of the second half. Can't complain about what happend in the last second. Shaq's analysis was best though. "One lucky shot deserves another."
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rulesmaven
The announcers said last night the clock should stop when the basket is made. Is that correct?
And the basket is made when the ball clears the net.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 02:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
The announcers said last night the clock should stop when the basket is made. Is that correct?
And the basket is made when the ball clears the net.
BktBallRef is exactly right. According to NBA rules (posted on their website), a basket is considered scored when the ball passes through the net. The clock is to stop in the last two minutes when a basket is "successful", meaning the clock stops when the ball passes through the net.

Are you sure the announcers had it right? If so, that would be the first time in history.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Aren't NCAA and high school rules that the clock stops when the successful goal is "recognized," which is different from the NBA rule if it really is when the basket is "successful."

Again, I wasn't suggesting that anything was incorrectly called in the Laker game. I was asking what the video review is used to confirm. If the NBA clock stoppage is truly when the basket is scored, that's easy -- it's when the ball either passes through the basket (which includes the net) or when it rests in the goal. In leagues where the clock stops when the basket is "recognized," that seems to be a different question. You often see it in college where the video is consulted to see how much time should but put back on the clock after a made basket with 59.9 or fewer seconds left, but again I'm wondering what they are looking at if the appropriate question is when the basket is "recognized."
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've never heard the term "recognized" before in this context. How does an official "recognize" a basket, "officially?"
Seriously, there is no signal to do so. My assumption, then, would be that the clock would be reset in college just as it is in the NBA, after the basket is successful.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 03:07pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

This is similar to the debate over the 1 second "lag time" when a clock doesn't properly start.

Personally I don't think that we should split hairs. The clock stops when the ball goes through the basket. Just like the clock stops when an officail whistles a foul or violation. If we know the exact time that either of those things happened (read: video) we should set the clock back to exactly that time.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Snaq - yes, I guess fundamentally, that was my question. There are rules that indicate the clock stops upon the ref's "signal," or "signaling." (Fouls, held ball, etc.) And since there is no signal for a made basket, that's exactly what I was wondering. "Recognize" is usually a word used in the rule where there is some discretion or judgment implied, and the clock stops if the act is "recognized" (e.g., a timeout).

But the notion of "recgoniz[ing]" a made basket seems odd. I've also seen it happen at the end of college games where the amount of time placed back on the clock after a made basket is less than the amount of time plainly on the clock when the ball clears the net.

Anyway, the NCAA rule is 5-9.10.

[Edited by rulesmaven on May 14th, 2004 at 04:13 PM]
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 03:14pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

And since there is no signal for a made basket

Sure there is... You raise your hand after the made basket with an open palm to stop the clock, then chop time in once the ball has been touched by a player on the court after the ensuing throw-in.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Snaq - yes, I guess fundamentally, that was my question. There are rules that indicate the clock stops upon the ref's "signal," or "signaling." (Fouls, held ball, etc.) And since there is no signal for a made basket, that's exactly what I was wondering. "Recognize" is usually a word used in the rule where there is some discretion or judgment implied, and the clock stops if the act is "recognized" (e.g., a timeout).

But the notion of "recgoniz[ing]" a made basket seems odd. I've also seen it happen at the end of college games where the amount of time placed back on the clock after a made basket is less than the amount of time plainly on the clock when the ball clears the net.

Anyway, the NCAA rule is 5-9.10.

[Edited by rulesmaven on May 14th, 2004 at 04:13 PM]
Firstly, someone said the clock is stopped during HS games after a made basket. Not so - if someone stops the clock after a made basket in a HS game I get very pissed.

That said, Tony is correct for NCAA as well...

- the clock is stopped on a made field goal

- A goal is made when the ball passes through the basket

- The basket includes the net

And are you sure there's an ncaa 5.9.10?