LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 30, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
So if the administration is the same for an intentional technical as for a plain-ol' technical, why bother making the distinction?
If it was a high-school game I wouldn't. It's similar to the flagrant excessive-contact signal in a high school game. If it's flagrant it doesn't really matter if you make that signal or not -- the player is disqualified.

I agree with your approach -- keep it simple! Just issue a technical and be done with it.
....which is what they did in the first place. I was the one who asked why not make it an intentional. Okay, one of my upcoming articles says, "Keep learning, never stop asking." I'll apply that here.
Old Sat May 01, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So if the administration is the same for an intentional technical as for a plain-ol' technical, why bother making the distinction?
Juulie,
I should have put a somewhere on my earlier response. I wasn't trying to be snippy at all. I was only trying to give you some helpful facts.
To answer your question above, it doesn't matter IN A GAME, but if you are TAKING AN NFHS RULES TEST you may need to know the precise terminology. Whether you care about a few extra points on the test or not depends on your location, as in some states your test score is part of your overall evaluation.
Good luck with that article. The topic is a great start!
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Lastly, in NFHS games, the throw-in following the technical would be at the division line, as opposed to the closest spot for the intentional personal.
The throw-in for a dead-ball contact foul is also at midcourt in NCAA. Any technical for dead-ball contact is considered an intentional T in men's NCAA.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Need just a reality check on a couple of plays..

2) I a lead administering a throw in near old 28' mark. A foul occurred in the paint away from the play. My partner calls it, I wanted to administer throw-in on baseline closest to spot of foul, Partner wanted to administer up hi where it was on original throw-in. In the game I was reffing it did not matter much where ball went but in a close game, it could make a difference. Should it not be closest spot to foul not where ball was? or am I just wrong?

Thanks
Question. How were you 'lead' while admin. a throw in from old 28' mark? Wouldn't you be classified as 'trail' out there? Just asking. Don't won't to create any confusion--then again, maybe I'm the one confused
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:22pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Quote:

2) I a lead administering a throw in near old 28' mark. A foul occurred in the paint away from the play. My partner calls it, I wanted to administer throw-in on baseline closest to spot of foul, Partner wanted to administer up hi where it was on original throw-in. In the game I was reffing it did not matter much where ball went but in a close game, it could make a difference. Should it not be closest spot to foul not where ball was? or am I just wrong?

Thanks
Question. How were you 'lead' while admin. a throw in from old 28' mark? Wouldn't you be classified as 'trail' out there? Just asking. Don't won't to create any confusion--then again, maybe I'm the one confused
davidw,
Perhaps Kelvin was working with one of us old guys, and they pre-gamed that Kelvin needed the work, so he had to be Lead at both ends.
mick

Old Mon May 03, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Quote:

Thanks
davidw,
Perhaps Kelvin was working with one of us old guys, and they pre-gamed that Kelvin needed the work, so he had to be Lead at both ends.
mick

gotta put that one in my bag and use it, may extend my career

Actually, that just reminded me of a summer AAU tournament a worked quite a few years ago where we would work like 10 games in one day--with all the 'rec-leauge'/'off-season' mechanics (or whatever you label it where you're from--you know what I'm refering to). Anyway, my partner that afternoon volunteered to run from baseline to baseline and let me stay at midcourt the whole game. He wanted the execise he said. I said thank you, but I'd better run too. Was kinds funny at the time.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

In my second collage game we had two teams that both played hard, we have a shot go in under the basket (about two mins in the game) and the player that hit the shot turned and hit a player with an elbow , i see it and i stick him for it ,,,,,, the coach see it and asked why the T, I just told he that if i just gave him a foul the other player goes down and does the same thing and then we have a fight, so i niped it in the butt right then
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by imkcalls
... so i niped it in the butt .....
Not a word... not a blessed word...
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Haven't you ever been niped in the butt?

You knew that I couldn't leave that one alone.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Juulie - so, I, it, in and the are all words

Hey, as they say, this butts for you!
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Anytime, Juulie. I came in second in the state scrabble tournament. (Some girl beat me out).
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

After being away from the court for 14 months, my assignors decided that I should work full court. So on the play I was actually trail, but as soon as I bounced the ball I ran for C then to L. Its called the one-body ( no sexist conotations here) rotation.

You should try it. It is amazing what you see when you are running full speed to the baseline in a half court game.

The best part of it is that you never stop moving, so you never miss a call.

The key to remember is that it takes 925 rotten basketball games with extreme howler monkeys to equate to one day in Abu Gharib.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The key to remember is that it takes 925 rotten basketball games with extreme howler monkeys to equate to one day in Abu Gharib.
Yea, I'll take the howler monkeys any day.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After being away from the court for 14 months, my assignors decided that I should work full court. So on the play I was actually trail, but as soon as I bounced the ball I ran for C then to L. Its called the one-body ( no sexist conotations here) rotation.

You should try it. It is amazing what you see when you are running full speed to the baseline in a half court game.

The best part of it is that you never stop moving, so you never miss a call.

Aaah! Now I understand! See, I knew I was just confused--perfectly clear now.