The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:35am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I agree with the comments posted - men's leagues are generally not worth it.

One point if I may, if you do continue with the men's league, don't ever chase the ball. Let them do it because the minute you turn away from the players, anything can happen. If they look at me like "aren't you goint to get it?", I tell them with a smile that I don't chase down the ball.

I would not say to do that in just a Men's League game, I would do that in all games.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
[/B]
I would not say to do that in just a Men's League game, I would do that in all games.

Peace [/B][/QUOTE]

Ditto--never chase a ball. Move to where you're going to bring the ball in play and stand tall keeping eye on players and court. Someone will get the message and go get the ball.

Xplayer,
I've been officiating for over 30yrs. everything from AAU, church, Y, men's rec leagues to HS varsity playoffs. I still do the men's leagues. Much of your philosophy sounds like mine. Although, I sometimes grumble--with peers, wife or whoever will listen to me--about it sometimes, for the most part I don't mind doing them. I've actually made a number of 'friends' of the players who I see from year to year. I figure someone needs to help out these guys and has to show up to keep them from killing themselves.

I've actually been threatened more serioulsly doing church ball then mens leagues. I don't do church ball anymore, though I did for quite a few years.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I may be opposite of about everyone on this board, but I love to ref the rec ball men's game. I would rather have a men's game than a middle school game. Don't get me wrong, when it's HS and College season, i don't ref rec ball at all. But I love dealing with the players and working on my diffusing skills .

But hey, that's just me!!

My two sense!