The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Recently I did a game in which the coach and player were father and son. I knew this before the game and have had the team a few times before.
During the game there was a play where I called a traveling violation on A1 (the son). A1 doesn't like the call and spikes the ball. Obvious T.
Coach of Team A (the father) pulls A1 out of the game and scolds him. The next time I am in front of the Team A bench the coach comments to me about his son's play, "How could he be so stupid?"
My response: "I'm guessing genetics."

Of course, this was said with a big, exaggerated smile so that the coach knew that I was joking and didn't think I was trying to insult him.

Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Of course, this was said with a big, exaggerated smile so that the coach knew that I was joking and didn't think I was trying to insult him.
Hmmmm, so if I were to tell you to get your eye's checked, but do it with a big, exaggerated smile so that you know I'm joking and don't think I'm trying to insult you, you wouldn't whack me, would you?
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 05:14pm
BBallCoach

NevadRef

NevadaRef,

Please respond to the previous post. I'm interested if a coach with a big grin and smile said to you to get your eyes checked, would he get T'd? Seems like he couldnt based on the joking comment you made. Look forward to your response
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 05:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I had a coach once tell me I should get my eyes checked. I thanked him for the suggestion, but told him I liked them they color they already were.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hmmm, seems to me if the dad is calling his own son stupid, it's already out of the realm of taking comments seriously. If a coach said to me, "Hey, get your eyes checked," I wouldn't like it.

But suppose we're just talking before the game and he asks me about a banner or something on the other side of the gym and I make a joke saying, "Sorry Coach, I can't see that far", then it would in no way be out of line for him to rag me about my eyesight, and I would expect a big dexter-eating grin to accompany his comments.

This seems to be a similar situation. We're talking about his own dumb kid. A little razzing can't be out of line.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 09:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

BBallCoach, welcome back. Lent must be over.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
C'mon - I was joking!

Sheesh BBall, I was joking. You know, the little wink symbol. I didn't expect any serious response from Nevada - I was only yanking his chain a bit when he wasn't looking...

The games I enjoy the most are the ones where everyone is capable of displaying a bit of self-deprecating humor. Wit and sense of humor are necessary check-valves in the pressure cooker environment of the game.

Like Chuck said - the coach was making light of a situation, inviting a smile or fun reaction to his comment. Nevada took the invitation and redirected the poke a little bit. Hopefully, we are all self-assured enough not to feel threatened by a fun jab at the appropriate time - and Chuck gave a good rationale about why the timing was probably appropriate.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 02:24pm
BBallCoach

No one will answer my question?

Why won't any one answer my question? Would that get a coach a T? And if so why?

Thanks

Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 02:41pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: No one will answer my question?

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Why won't any one answer my question? Would that get a coach a T? And if so why?

Thanks
You asked for NevadaRef.
Did you fergit?
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 02:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: No one will answer my question?

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallTroll

Thanks

BBallTroll, Chuck did a great job of answering your question. The fact that you are not accepting his answer shows me it was not a legitimate question. If your question is serious, it only proves you have no sense of humor, and I feel sorry for the hypothetical athletes you may or may not coach.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 06:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: No one will answer my question?

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach

Thanks

OK, I'll answer your question. Yes, he would get a T. Why? Rule 11.2.4. Look it up.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:38pm
BBallCoach

Why the T?

Mark,

Isn't this being a bit hypocritical? If the coach is smiling shouldn't the official know that means he is joking and take it as such? You except the coach to know the official is only joking correct. So why the double standard?
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: No one will answer my question?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Yes, he would get a T. Why? Rule 11.2.4. Look it up.
Mark, since you used dots instead of dashes, I'm assuming you're referring to case 11.2.4. Are you talking about Situation A, Situation B, or Situation D?
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 09:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Re: Re: Re: No one will answer my question?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Yes, he would get a T. Why? Rule 11.2.4. Look it up.
Mark, since you used dots instead of dashes, I'm assuming you're referring to case 11.2.4. Are you talking about Situation A, Situation B, or Situation D?
No - I'm referring to RULE 11.2.4. It's in the book just before rules 12, 13 and 14. As to a "double standard", that interpretation is illogical as supported by rule 13.3.2.

I want BBallCoach to look them up. Get it?
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 09:35pm
BBallCoach

Refuses to answer me

Mark,

It seems to me that your being hypocritical by saying that you would T a coach for that. He smiled so that makes it a joke right Mark?