The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

I had this call a several times this year-sold the heck out of it and no one ever said anything. That being said I'm not sure I'm ever got it correct.

A1 goes up for a jump shot but never looses contact with the ball-B1 blocks the shot and continues to make contact with the ball, as does A1, until both players return to the floor-Jump Ball?

A1 goes up for a jump shot-B1 blocks the ball after A1 releases the ball. Before returning to the floor A1 grabs the ball and remains in control as he returns to the floor-Traveling?

A1 goes up for a jump shot but never looses contact with the ball-B1 blocks the ball but does not have contact with the ball when A1 returns to the floor with the ball-Traveling?

Some one tell me I'm right or wrong.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 05:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by twref

1) A1 goes up for a jump shot but never looses contact with the ball-B1 blocks the shot and continues to make contact with the ball, as does A1, until both players return to the floor-Jump Ball?

2) A1 goes up for a jump shot-B1 blocks the ball after A1 releases the ball. Before returning to the floor A1 grabs the ball and remains in control as he returns to the floor-Traveling?

3) A1 goes up for a jump shot but never looses contact with the ball-B1 blocks the ball but does not have contact with the ball when A1 returns to the floor with the ball-Traveling?

#1 - held ball.

#2 - If the ball left the shooter's hands and the defender then blocked the ball back into them - no call. Player and team control ended when the shot left the shooter's hands. The shooter can now legally come down with the ball, and go back up, dribble, pass or just hold the ball.

#3 - Held ball if the official thought that the defender stopped the airborne shooter from passing or shooting the ball. Travel if the official thought that the defensive contact didn't stop the airborne player from passing or shooting. Which one is a judgement call on the official's part.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by twref
Some one tell me I'm right or wrong.
twref,
...What JR said.
Welcome to the forum.
mick
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

To add to what the others said....

It's not dependant on who was touching it when the players return to the floor.

Restating it all from a different angle just because this is so frequently asked...

If A1 releases the ball on a shot, it's fair game to retrieve the ball, blocked or not.

If A1 does not release the ball because B1 prevented it by blocking it, it is, at that moment, a held ball.

If A1 does not release the ball by choice (even if B1 touched it but not hard enough to prevent the release), travelling when A1 lands.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
To add to what the others said....

It's not dependant on who was touching it when the players return to the floor.

Restating it all from a different angle just because this is so frequently asked...

If A1 releases the ball on a shot, it's fair game to retrieve the ball, blocked or not.

If A1 does not release the ball because B1 prevented it by blocking it, it is, at that moment, a held ball.

If A1 does not release the ball by choice (even if B1 touched it but not hard enough to prevent the release), travelling when A1 lands.
I had situation #3 happen to me at the end of girls game. Team A leading by one. Team B had last shot at the buzzer and I called the travel. The shot went in. I ran to table to clearly let them know - NO BASKET. Team A wins by one. It takes a lot of courage to do our job.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 02:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
I ran to table to clearly let them know - NO BASKET.
I hope you weren't the Lead official.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 02:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

T-man, just to clarify, she landed and then shot?
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Mick, It was an inbounds play under team B's basket by Team B. Yes, I was lead. I was right in front of the play. Preliminary - no basket, raised had, travel sign, then to table. Then out of gym!
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:01pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Mick, It was an inbounds play under team B's basket by Team B. Yes, I was lead. I was right in front of the play. Preliminary - no basket, raised had, travel sign, then to table. Then out of gym!
TravelinMan,
The fact that it was so close to the end of the game escaped me.
So you went to the table to make sure Murphy wasn't there.
That works. Good job.
mick
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Yes, she landed, then shot at the buzzer (out of hand). I went with the travel rather than the held ball because A landed on floor without B on ball. It all happened very quicky but like I said I was right in front of it and was "refereeing the defense".
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, she landed, then shot at the buzzer (out of hand). I went with the travel rather than the held ball because A landed on floor without B on ball. It all happened very quicky but like I said I was right in front of it and was "refereeing the defense".
I mean B landed with A's hand not on ball. Sorry.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did the block attempt prevent release? If so, you have a held ball, regardless of whether the defender's hand was on the ball when the shooter landed. Either way, game over.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, she landed then shot.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2004, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did the block attempt prevent release? If so, you have a held ball, regardless of whether the defender's hand was on the ball when the shooter landed. Either way, game over.
Yes, either way game over. Thanks for your thoughts. I made the call without hesitation, but even at that, it got a lot of criticism from Team B's fans. I pay that no mind. Just wanted to get the call right. I had a couple of irate Team B fans come up to me and say "these are only kids, for God's sake". Advise to new officials - do not let things like this get to you.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

It is scenario #3 that becomes the difficult call. It sounds like in TravelinMan's play traveling/held ball scenario his call had no impact on the game. That being said is it the concensus that the call was in fact wrong based on the fact that the block did prevent the release? If it doesn't make a difference whether or not the B1 has contact with the ball upon A1's return to the floor, then the only decision/judgement is whether or not A1 did not shoot/pass by choice or because of the block. Since there is virtually no time left when the play begins I would assume the failure to shoot would be due to the block and not that the player had no other options.