The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
The list of abbreviations (and the retrograde conversation that followed) in another thread reminded me of a question I had a couple of weeks ago. I know most of you folks (with some notable and respectable exceptions) will at least T and often toss a player or coach for using the F-bomb. What about the euphemisms? I had a game with a player who used "freakin' " several times during the game. It was never directed at anyone, and was not quiet, but not spoken with hostility. "That was a freakin' lousy shot" (about himself). ""This game is getting freakin' awful!" etc Onto which side of the line does that fall? What about "bloody"? What about "Golly, gee whiz?"
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
What about "bloody"?
Careful - or Padgett might accuse you of being a FEEBLE ref.

If the freakin' is being aimed at me, I'm going to have a word with the player or coach. If it's in general, I'd let it pass.

Of course, I do college intramurals, YMMV with other levels of ball.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 07:41pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
The list of abbreviations (and the retrograde conversation that followed) in another thread reminded me of a question I had a couple of weeks ago. I know most of you folks (with some notable and respectable exceptions) will at least T and often toss a player or coach for using the F-bomb. What about the euphemisms? I had a game with a player who used "freakin' " several times during the game. It was never directed at anyone, and was not quiet, but not spoken with hostility. "That was a freakin' lousy shot" (about himself). ""This game is getting freakin' awful!" etc Onto which side of the line does that fall? What about "bloody"? What about "Golly, gee whiz?"
Several times a games?
"Hey, Bud. Please don't say that anymore. It's kinda startin' to bother me."
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have a simple philosophy...
"It's not WHAT they say, it's HOW they say it."

Coaches most of the time want to know WHAT their player said...
I simply tell them the above.

The player could be yelling in my face, with his hands/arms flying around and stomping his feet, "You are the best official I've ever had!"
Whack! T...it's his actions, not necessarily his words. IMO

Having said that, there has been occasions where a player has said a curse word to himself...after a missed basket for instance...if it can't be heard by his mother, sitting in the front row, I let it go for the most part.

To address rainmaker's question specifically...I wouldn't want players running around yelling "Freakin' this and Bloody that"...again, it's their actions. This could be construed as Unsporting, IMO.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Several times a games?
"Hey, Bud. Please don't say that anymore. It's kinda startin' to bother me."
That works.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2004, 11:49am
Do not give a damn!!

Juulie,

This is why I do not get so bent out of shape about the use of profanity unless it has a certain context. Because the other words can be just as bad if used in the right or wrong way depending on how you look at it.

Peace