The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Officiating.com is searching for writers who are qualified basketball officials. Why "give away" your thoughts in the Forum? Send them to us, and we'll pay you for them.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Officiating.com is searching for writers who are qualified basketball officials. Why "give away" your thoughts in the Forum? Send them to us, and we'll pay you for them.
First of all, I wonder about the life expectancy of this thread.

Second of all, I'm sure I speak for others here when I say that we do not consider this "giving away" our thoughts but sharing with each other for mutual benefit.

Third of all, if this "giving away" concept bothers you, feel free to read here and send us all a check.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
First of all, I wonder about the life expectancy of this thread.

Second of all, I'm sure I speak for others here when I say that we do not consider this "giving away" our thoughts but sharing with each other for mutual benefit.

Third of all, if this "giving away" concept bothers you, feel free to read here and send us all a check.
"Giving away your thoughts" was just a metaphor to explain that Officiating.com is a magazine that was started, incidentally, by the people who provide this free message board. In the last eighteen months we published about 200 articles in baseball, another 175 in football, but only 94 in basketball. We know there are officials who post to the boards who could be influential in the growth of referees all over the world. (One of our basketball contributing writers lives in Israel.) All we're saying is let us publish your work and pay you for your time and trouble.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:40am
In Memoriam

Would we get censored? As apparently happens to moderators that speak their minds?

Serious question- not trolling.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:00am
Whack! Get Out!!!

No one is really censored on this forum at all. The only posts that are deleted are those that are personal attacks. They simply have no place here -- this is a forum to discuss officiating.

Moderators do not delete threads very often. One thing to keep in mind is that the original poster of a message can also delete the thread -- sometimes this is what happens.

Thanks,
Brad
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 10:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
No one is really censored on this forum at all. The only posts that are deleted are those that are personal attacks. They simply have no place here -- this is a forum to discuss officiating.

Moderators do not delete threads very often. One thing to keep in mind is that the original poster of a message can also delete the thread -- sometimes this is what happens.

Brad, I wasn't concerned with this forum at all. I was referring directly to Officiating.com, and my question was solely directed to them. I wanted to know if they are going to censor, alter or re-write any articles submitted to them after they select them, or if they are going to run them complete. Sometimes removing as little as one small sentence or paragraph can change the intended purpose of that article. I realize that Officiating.com will naturally have their own rules regarding content- i.e.-personal attacks, profanity, editing for spelling and grammar errors, etc. I also certainly know that they naturally have the full right to reject any submissions to them. I just get the feeling that, rightly or wrongly, they may also have a tendency to only publish articles that tend to mirror their own point of view. I don't know whether I'd want to waste my time writing an article, and then see it go bye-bye because someone doesn't agree with a point of view that I espoused. JMO.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 11:06am
Whack! Get Out!!!

First of all, "they" is "us"... That is, the Official Forum is part of Officiating.com

Secondly, there will always be editing that goes into articles -- that is simply part of the publishing process. What edits are made are the responsibility of the editor-in-chief and writer to work out.

Our writers work closely with our editor to ensure that they are working on topics that are of interest to our audience. It is very rare that an article is simply rejected.

One of the things that sets Officiating.com apart is that we DO publish differing (sometimes vastly) viewpoints -- something that you won't find everywhere else.

I encourage you to give Officiating.com a try -- there is no service for officials that even comes close to what we offer!

Thanks,
Brad
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 11:18am
Whack! Get Out!!!

To answer the question that someone else posed -- Carl is the editor of Officiating.com, so writers work directly with him in regards to submitting articles and having them published. Carl is an extremely accomplished writer and has great skills in this area.

Thanks,
Brad
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 11:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad

Secondly, there will always be editing that goes into articles -- that is simply part of the publishing process. What edits are made are the responsibility of the editor-in-chief and writer to work out.

One of the things that sets Officiating.com apart is that we DO publish differing (sometimes vastly) viewpoints -- something that you won't find everywhere else.

The above answered my questions. Thank you.