The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 11:20am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

My new issue of Referee Magazine arrived yesterday and it had an interesting case in it. They have a story of how case interpretations have changed over the years due to rule changes. It is really interesting. Anyway - here's the case: A1 to inbound on AP throwin. A1 holds the ball over the court. B1 grabs the ball with both hands and there is dual possession with A1 still standing OOB. What happens to the ball and what happens to the AP arrow?

Don't cheat and look in the magazine

Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 11:28am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Hi!

[Edit: Federation rules. Not sure what Referee Magazine asked for in terms of what rules to use.]

In that case, it is still A's ball, treated as the result of a held ball.

Rationale: The throw-in awarded to A because of the held ball has not ended yet: the ball has not been touched by an inbounds player after being released by the thrower-in, and A has not committed a throw-in violation.

So, if A violates in their subsequent throw-in, award B the ball and flip the arrow.

That's what I think, anyways.

..Mike
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

If A has the ball on the AP throw-in, and the ball is tied up again, this would go to back to A. In my opinion, A being OOB has no bearing on the play because they both are in possession, therefore it is another AP situation. Since the previous one had not ended, A would still get the arrow.

Now, if B let go, your 5 second count would still go on assuming there are no other violations.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

See casebook 7.6.3f - still A's ball.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My new issue of Referee Magazine arrived yesterday and it had an interesting case in it. They have a story of how case interpretations have changed over the years due to rule changes. It is really interesting. Anyway - here's the case: A1 to inbound on AP throwin. A1 holds the ball over the court. B1 grabs the ball with both hands and there is dual possession with A1 still standing OOB. What happens to the ball and what happens to the AP arrow?

Don't cheat and look in the magazine

Everyone got this right for Fed, and I agree.

Katzler indicated that for NCAA, the ball goes to B. He didn't give any references, and I can't prove it from the book. Can anyone help?

Also, on the backcourt exceptions (I know, it should be a new thread): In Fed, the exception only applies to the person catching the ball. IOW, if that player passes to someone in the backcourt, it's a violation.

In NCAA, I believe that the player can pass the ball. It's covered in NASO's "Rules Differences" book. Again, I can't show this from the rule -- the rule appears to be the same as the FED rule. But I know I've heard this difference before. Help?

Thanks
Old Fri Dec 22, 2000, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Ruling re:AP Throw-in

It looks to me like Team A would get the ball per NCAA rules, as well. See A.R. 5 under Rule 6-3-2. The rationale is the same as that mentioned by JugglingReferee.