View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My new issue of Referee Magazine arrived yesterday and it had an interesting case in it. They have a story of how case interpretations have changed over the years due to rule changes. It is really interesting. Anyway - here's the case: A1 to inbound on AP throwin. A1 holds the ball over the court. B1 grabs the ball with both hands and there is dual possession with A1 still standing OOB. What happens to the ball and what happens to the AP arrow?

Don't cheat and look in the magazine

Everyone got this right for Fed, and I agree.

Katzler indicated that for NCAA, the ball goes to B. He didn't give any references, and I can't prove it from the book. Can anyone help?

Also, on the backcourt exceptions (I know, it should be a new thread): In Fed, the exception only applies to the person catching the ball. IOW, if that player passes to someone in the backcourt, it's a violation.

In NCAA, I believe that the player can pass the ball. It's covered in NASO's "Rules Differences" book. Again, I can't show this from the rule -- the rule appears to be the same as the FED rule. But I know I've heard this difference before. Help?

Thanks