The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Typical response from most officials, too big of an ego to admit mistakes. This call was a huge mistake, and if you do not understand why, you need to get in touch with some refs who have to the big time and ask why.
I can give you an example of a play that never gets called at the end of a game becuase it is not affecting the play. Oone second left and team a has an inbounds at opposite end of floor and needs a basket to tie or win. It is a throw in after a made basket so they can run the baseline.they set up in one corner and run towards the other end, all the while a screen is set inbounds where the person guarding the throw in player will run over them as they move with the passer. I have seen this trick used many times in big mens tournamnets game, and guess what, even if the payler flats runs over the screener nothing is ever called. Some refs understand the sprit of the rules is the important thing not the technical side. the ref in the Baylor game had every right to call this foul per the rules as they are written, but he never should have.There is no way tenn player had time 10 ft from the basket with her back towards it, to tip it in. It was scramble for a loose ball and you could even make a case for the foul should not have been called period even with 5 mins left.
One other point did anybody see if the bu player had established herself inbounds before she touches the ball? That would have made a difference in the call.
We have all made erros and the official in this case and the ncaa should admit one. We are far from perfect.

Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Dexter

You said..

"As to why it matters more with 0.2 left on the clock in a tied regional semi-final game . . . figure that one out yourself."

Are you sayin that it is treated "differently" based on the situation ?? Seems that you may be.

BTW.. I read your posts.. and you make some nice points. Just question this one.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

And why on earth are they not using precision time ?? I don't watch women's college too much.. just curious.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:07pm
In Memoriam

Is the post above by Judge an April Fools joke? Seriously?

Or just something posted from an April fool?
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge
the ref in the Baylor game had every right to call this foul per the rules as they are written, but he never should have.There is no way tenn player had time 10 ft from the basket with her back towards it, to tip it in. It was scramble for a loose ball and you could even make a case for the foul should not have been called period even with 5 mins left.
So, if you're saying fouls should be called based only on location, direction and ability to make a basket. No chance = no foul. WHAT?

I will admit that I've seen similar situations where there was no call. And I've seen calls made. This call didn't bother me.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Is the post above by Judge an April Fools joke? Seriously?

Or just something posted from an April fool?
He made his "worst call ever in women's college basketball" statement on Mar. 30; so I don't think it's an April Fool joke. (Although that would be pretty funny).

My guess is by being a new poster, Judge probably lost a few skins in Vegas on this game.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iamaref
And why on earth are they not using precision time ?? I don't watch women's college too much.. just curious.
PT is not used in the men or women's torunament.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

You know.. I was thinking that maybe Precision Time wasn't being used... cuz I noticed a lot of the guys.. chopping the clock from the stop-clock position... with hand nowhere near the timing device. I guess I was assuming that maybe they had pregamed that a non-administering official would start the timing device.

Anyhow...

Anyone know why they don't use Precision Time in the tournament ??? If in fact they don't.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

They have been having trouble with the equipment at the Lloyd Noble Center for a long time. The clock stops when the whistle is blown (they finally got that one fixed), but they have never been able to use the belt packs to start the clock with any reliability. So they're just chopping in, and it seems to be a much better solution. I'm surprised that the NCAA would let us host a regional unless all the equipment was working properly. (But maybe the NCAA didn't know?) And I don't know enough about the equipment to understand why they couldn't get the technical problems fixed before the tourney. Or before the start of the regular season, for that matter.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

THE BIG EAST vs acc

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
The official who made the call disagrees with you. Since he's the one assigned to the game, it's a foul.
Its ACC vs the Big East on Saturday and North Carolina is nowhere to be found.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

the foul was called...fine. When you go to the monitor...do you check for the whistle? Since the whistle stops the clock...I don't think they did. Marcy Weston's statement claimed they checked for the whistle, which I think is impossible here. Impact occurred at .2 seconds remaining. They should have gone OT.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Or were they checking to see if the official's arm went up before the horn sounded? Since we are talking about signals here, then there must be a time lag between the time the whistle is blown and the time the clock actually stops ... miniscule perhaps, but still a lag. Does the equipment adjust for the lag, or is it up to the officiating crew (table people included) to make that adjustment?

In any case, the NCAA is going to review the whole thing when they have their meeting in New Orleans this weekend. And I assume that they will publish an explanation. Sure hope so!

I still think that it was a good call, however unfortunate and nerve-racking it may have been to all of us who were having fun watching David stick it to Goliath. Kind of reminds me of the movie where Billy Crystal makes a call in the final seconds of an NBA game and the home crowd is ready to lynch him. The fan boards are buzzing with all kinds of crazy stuff. My favorite one is : 'ESPN will do anything to make sure that they have a UConn/Tennessee matchup in the final game.'

Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Confirmed Judge is a FANBOY

I was just looking around to see some reaction at Baylor and I clicked on a message board and found a very interesting post.

It is as follows from
http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54111

This is a just a portion of the post.......

Apparently the NCAA knows that (some of, when it is in their favor) its own rules exist. Do their officials? It does not appear to be so.

Every media report that I have seen, including the Knoxville News (http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/gv_colu...2768406,00.html) and Yahoo (www.sports.yahoo.com) (so it is not just ESPN) say that the officials reviewed the monitor to determine if the foul was committed during game play – some (so let’s give the benefit of a doubt) say it was to determine if the whistle was blown during the game........

The person's user name is Tree G. It is good to know that he doesn't have a vested interest in the game and was just posting here as a person who has "been an official for 24 years"
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 04:40pm
If you need me, text me!

No Precision Time for NCAA tourneys...

Quote:
Originally posted by JustAFan
They have been having trouble with the equipment at the Lloyd Noble Center for a long time. The clock stops when the whistle is blown (they finally got that one fixed), but they have never been able to use the belt packs to start the clock with any reliability. So they're just chopping in, and it seems to be a much better solution. I'm surprised that the NCAA would let us host a regional unless all the equipment was working properly. (But maybe the NCAA didn't know?) And I don't know enough about the equipment to understand why they couldn't get the technical problems fixed before the tourney. Or before the start of the regular season, for that matter.
They are not using Precision Time for either tournament even when the facility has the equipment.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Permit me to go off the subject a bit...That game prevented Stanford from going to the Final Four?? Stanford would have beaten Baylor??