The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Thanks for all the feedback. Clearly this coach deserved in my opinion to be thrown out, I just like to revisit the game to see if I could have managed things differently earlier in order to prevent an ejection and I thought using this board as a sounding board was a good idea. I got the idea from one of the senior officials in my association after I threw out a GV coach at the end of a close game for coming onto the court after having a call go against him for his 2nd T. The vet broke down the tape and showed where certain situations and game awareness could potentially have prevented the ejection (though all parties agreed the ejection was warrented). It's an interesting way to critique game management skills.

Regarding the comment about T ing the coach on the first over and back complaint, I understand this line of thinking, but the early grumbles weren't frequent or annoying enough to earn a warning, so I felt that warning the guy was the right move so that the T from me or my partner wouldn't be a shock to him.
Coaches that act child-like will do what all children do test their boundaries. At the 6th grade level the coach is there to teach the kids and not act like one, so a good shock might have done more than the ejection.

Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Early 4th quarter during a dead ball, I just happened to catch some loud, rude comments from the stands - looked up & there's the ejected coach sitting with a couple dads - looking right at us & smirking. I immediately declared the game forfeit in favor of team A, then gathered all the players from both teams & made it clear that it wasn't anything they did, but that sometimes adults just couldn't behave themselves and we had to stop the game as a result.
I only wonder whether you could have found a way to let the kids finish it. I know you let him know the consequences, but I hate to see the kids lose out on playing a game because of this bozo.
And that's a question that I've asked myself many times: what else could/should we have done? My partner and I agreed that the situation had deteriorated to the point we had to stop the game. We used every resource we had available, but sometimes I guess that just isn't enough. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make as an official, but even in retrospect, I still think it was the right decision. That doesn't mean I have to like it.....
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

I have to admit I didn't have a good alternative at hand when I posted, but one that maybe could have been considered is removing all fans from the gym. Say the game is over, unless everybody leaves. This gets the problem out of the gym but allows the game to be finished by the players. If the fans won't leave, game is over.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Logistically, that may be too difficult, coach. A few minutes of playing time isn't going to make or break these kids' careers. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Early 4th quarter during a dead ball, I just happened to catch some loud, rude comments from the stands - looked up & there's the ejected coach sitting with a couple dads - looking right at us & smirking. I immediately declared the game forfeit in favor of team A, then gathered all the players from both teams & made it clear that it wasn't anything they did, but that sometimes adults just couldn't behave themselves and we had to stop the game as a result.
I only wonder whether you could have found a way to let the kids finish it. I know you let him know the consequences, but I hate to see the kids lose out on playing a game because of this bozo.
Why bend over backwards trying to keep the game going for the kids. An adult has acted in a way that is undermining the game and the kids' effort. This howler is making it about him and not about the kids. These girls also have this coach as a role model. What a shame! At least one official made it panstakingly obvious that this behavior is not acceptable or tolerated. Now the team and the parents are forced to deal with this issue. In my opinion, Any parent that starts another season with this coach after having witnessed his antics is irresponsible.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by footlocker
Quote:
Why bend over backwards trying to keep the game going for the kids. An adult has acted in a way that is undermining the game and the kids' effort.
Why? It is simple. The game is for the kids, not the "adults." The "adult" is ruining the kids game with his childlike behavior. I am saying get the "adults" out of the situation and let the game be finished by those that it is there for. Just a possible alternative to consider.

As for being logistically difficult, I am not sure what that means. Simply say get out now or we are done - the gyms in rec games aren't that packed usually anyway. Can't see a logistical issue with telling "adults" to leave. You may end up with the forfeit anyway, because they may not leave. But you try to give them the chance.

Another alternative is to explain to the entire group of parents for this team that if they don't get that coach out of the gym in 30 seconds, and for the rest of the day, their kids are done. The parents probably didn't know that. Again, if it doesn't happen, then you end it.

This is not meant as a criticism, but just a recognition that rec is different and you may need to have some creativity to finish games while keeping things under control. And I believe in finding ways to finish if possible. HS, you would end it there and there would clearly be more to follow. Even in rec, I would hope hat a folow-up report would end this guy's coaching for the winter.