The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Hi. I'm interested in starting officiating and really could use some tips on the best way to get started. I have read posts here and noticed a really friendly and supportive community so I decided to suck it up and ask this total newbie question.

I live in Las Vegas. I'm a District Attorney, so I dont mind making tough calls or being yelled at I'm 6'5". I played HS ball in California and played in various city leagues in LA (fairfax high) and Orange County and some here in Vegas. I havent played competitively for two years (since birth of daughter) and I really miss playing. I'm 37 and I dont really want to mix it up with 18 year olds who just want to jack 3s all game so I thought officiating would be fun. I did some "stand in" officiating in various leagues in Vegas when they were down a ref and my team was not playing. I loved it and frankly cant believe I never thought of this sooner. I also like the teaching aspect. I think kids really learn from having rules they have to play by. Maybe that's the DA in me...

So....all that being said...

Where do I start? HS Frosh games? Rec leagues? Are there national associations I need to be a member of? What should I try? What should I stay away from?

I cant seem to find good Nevada info. The southern nevada official's assoc. site seems dead. I saw "Nevadaref" on these boards but couldnt email him directly. Nevadaref, if you are out there and read this you (or anyone else who might want to) can email me directly at [email protected].

Is there a book that is the "bible" of officiating?

The good thing about being a newbie is that I know I know nothing and am happy to take advice and learn from all of you.

I'm not looking to "advance" to college. I wouldnt mind doing nothing more than doing HS games. I dont need to make money doing this (but a little spending money wouldnt hurt either). I just want back in a game I love and thought this would be a good way. You all seem to have such good experiences, I thought I would ask.

Given my above described situation, what do you all recommend?

Any advice is appreciated.

Clark Peterson, a total newbie in need of help.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
Hi. I'm interested in starting officiating and really could use some tips on the best way to get started. I have read posts here and noticed a really friendly and supportive community so I decided to suck it up and ask this total newbie question.

I live in Las Vegas. I'm a District Attorney, so I dont mind making tough calls or being yelled at I'm 6'5". I played HS ball in California and played in various city leagues in LA (fairfax high) and Orange County and some here in Vegas. I havent played competitively for two years (since birth of daughter) and I really miss playing. I'm 37 and I dont really want to mix it up with 18 year olds who just want to jack 3s all game so I thought officiating would be fun. I did some "stand in" officiating in various leagues in Vegas when they were down a ref and my team was not playing. I loved it and frankly cant believe I never thought of this sooner. I also like the teaching aspect. I think kids really learn from having rules they have to play by. Maybe that's the DA in me...

So....all that being said...

Where do I start? HS Frosh games? Rec leagues? Are there national associations I need to be a member of? What should I try? What should I stay away from?

I cant seem to find good Nevada info. The southern nevada official's assoc. site seems dead. I saw "Nevadaref" on these boards but couldnt email him directly. Nevadaref, if you are out there and read this you (or anyone else who might want to) can email me directly at [email protected].

Is there a book that is the "bible" of officiating?

The good thing about being a newbie is that I know I know nothing and am happy to take advice and learn from all of you.

I'm not looking to "advance" to college. I wouldnt mind doing nothing more than doing HS games. I dont need to make money doing this (but a little spending money wouldnt hurt either). I just want back in a game I love and thought this would be a good way. You all seem to have such good experiences, I thought I would ask.

Given my above described situation, what do you all recommend?

Any advice is appreciated.

Clark Peterson, a total newbie in need of help.
DA in Vegas, eh? I'll offer some advice but I may need you to return a favor at some point...

You might want to call some HS AD's to learn about any local associations to join. Might also contact local CYO/rec leagues, more than likely they have a list of officials they use who can contact to get you started. The goal is to find a local organization that offers training and a network for meeting other officials and getting games.

Where I'm from associations are affiliated with IAABO (Int assoc of approved basketball officials - i am a blind official to others ) but I don't think IAABO is required in Nevada. Go to their web pages (iaabo.org I think) & look around, there are usually some rules tests you can try your hand at there. Referee Magazine offers publications on mechanics, you can find them on amazon. There are generally 4 rule books: National federation of high school (NFHS), NCAA, pro and fiba. You'll want to get a nfhs set of books since most ball at & below varsity HS use these rules. You can go order it over their web pages - you know about google, right? . You can download a free pdf version of the ncaa rule books from the ncaa web pages, it is largely the same as the NFHS rules except for some details that should not really concern you at this point, in any event the ncaa book does list where they are different from nfhs rules. I think the pro rules are available to download, I wouldn't worry too much about them, or for that matter fiba rules either.

If your goal is to get good at this then you'll need to work lots of lower level games. Games & games & then more games. The only way to get the bad calls out of your system is to, well, get the bad calls out of your system. Learn the rules, for a lawywer learning rules should not be a problem. More than likely you'll start working rec leagues & frosh or jv HS. Some folks work the adult leagues, I didn't do a lot of that. I understand there is a severe shortage of officials in Vegas, I expect if you're in shape and apply yourself it won't take you too long to get some HS varsity games. When that happens you just might find you've changed your mind about doing some college games

Good luck!
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Advice

I use officiating to pay for college so there is money to be made (even thought you do not need it you will definately make "spending money". I do not solely do it for the money. I do it because 1) I love the sport and 2) I love being around the kids. That being said, I believe that Dan gave you some extremely good advice.

The college there may offer a course like the one here. The course here is called techniques of officiating. You may check into that as well. I would also recommend checking the intramural department. Sometimes they have an officials club where they schedule games for local schools. Last year my intramural dept. scheduled games for over 45 schools. They may not have a club or anything like that but they may be able to point you in the right direction.

One last thing, I found this website. You may find some information on here that will aid in your advancement.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...content_id=271

Good Luck and Welcome to Officiating
Jeremy C.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Totalnewbie,
First welcome to the board, and welcome to one of the great things you will have done in your life. As you get started, be aware of other officials in the area. Take every opportunity to watch different guys work. Take from each of them things that you like whether it be style, or learn from what they do or don't call. If you become part of an association, be sure to align yourself with people you are comfortable with. That is not to say, don't work with others, but you will find it easier to get help if you are around people that you find common ground with. Then as you start to work games, ask for feedback. I just finished my 7th year, I have worked 2 regional tournaments in Wyoming, and after every game my partner and I ask the next crew or anyone who happens to be there "what did you see, what do we need to do differently". If you ask most people will be honest with you, however if you don't ask very few will offer constructive advice, and you may think that it is because there is nothing to offer....Force the feedback, and hope that it is honest (it usually will be)...oh and last but not least.....Have Fun....
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Question Friendly?

Newbie, I'm confused you must not have been reading the posts for very long if you think everyone is friendly .
Actually, despite the fact that every once in a while people can get a little bit testy here, the passion for officiating well, and helping others to do likewise, seems to be real. I've learned a ton, even to the point that, unkown to my wife, I've often thought about turning to the striped side.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I would stick with the NFHS books. These are "rule books", "case book", "simplified & isllustrated", and "officials manual"

These four books will be your bible, so to speak. Now, get games and more games. There are probably some training classes in your area/state. Find a mentor, and get rolling. I assume you a smart guy (because of your well written post, not your profession).

Good luck, this is really fun (and hard work too).
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Don't forget the first rule of officiating - tuck your whistle in your shirt before you take a leak.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

Thanks for all the comments.

What is the bare minimum I need to get started, other than good attitude. I hate to be so remedial here, but that is what I need. And when do I need to get what? For example, everyone offers "starter uniform" kits for refs. Good or bad? Besides the Fox40, which seems to be the consensus whistle, what is the must have gear and do i need it to start?

By the way, yes I do think this is a friendly board. I've seen contentious boards and this isnt one. And actually I found that very encouraging. One of the things I miss about playing is the comradarie with the players; it seems like there is a similar feeling among officials.

Clark
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
Thanks for all the comments.

What is the bare minimum I need to get started, other than good attitude. I hate to be so remedial here, but that is what I need. And when do I need to get what? For example, everyone offers "starter uniform" kits for refs. Good or bad? Besides the Fox40, which seems to be the consensus whistle, what is the must have gear and do i need it to start?

By the way, yes I do think this is a friendly board. I've seen contentious boards and this isnt one. And actually I found that very encouraging. One of the things I miss about playing is the comradarie with the players; it seems like there is a similar feeling among officials.

Clark
I never bought the starter package so I can't comment.

I like the New Balance all black sneakers (609?), about $50. Go online & get a pair of black beltless sansabelts, maybe $40 or so (I like the pleated ones). Couple of striped shirts. T-shirts, black or white. Black socks. Pair of black shorts for summer/rec, wear white socks with your shorts. Couple of black fox40's, couple of black lanyards or smittys. You'll want a nice gym bag to carry all your stuff. If you're doing HS you'll eventualy need a black sahara jacket, you can wait on that.

And you're good to go
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post Re: Re: thanks

I would just add that you'll have to make a decision whether to wear a jock or compression shorts underneath your pants or shorts.

Also - the past few years, I found good, beltless black slacks in the JCPenney's sale catalog. You usually have to buy two pair at a time, but the price has been as low as under $20 per pair. And no - I don't own any Penney's stock.

BTW - I like the fox 40s with the rubber mouthguard. I soak them in mouthwash (cinnamon works for me) before games.

Gee - it just dawned on me that I should be writing this in the past tense.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Re: Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I would just add that you'll have to make a decision whether to wear a jock or compression shorts underneath your pants or shorts.

Also - the past few years, I found good, beltless black slacks in the JCPenney's sale catalog. You usually have to buy two pair at a time, but the price has been as low as under $20 per pair. And no - I don't own any Penney's stock.

BTW - I like the fox 40s with the rubber mouthguard. I soak them in mouthwash (cinnamon works for me) before games.

My equipment hasn't altered much the past few seasons.

Honig's beltless slacks
Honig's striped V-neck shirts
McDavid Interawear black v-neck shirts (t-shirt)
McDavid black compression shorts
Gerry Davis ultimate socks
NB 609 Black shoes
Honig's sahara jacket (CCA-style with no logo for HS games)
Fox 40 CMG whistles with noose and smitty lanyards

Compare that with all the crap I lug to baseball (and even football) games and it seems like such a small amount. Cause it is.

--Rich
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Ah yes, forgot the compression shorts. They do help.

As for the JCPennys, I tried a pair a while ago & they didn't last too long. FWIW.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
newbie -- Before you buy anything beyond a whistle, a striped shirt and some good shoes, figure out who you'll be reffing under, and ask them what you need. The "required" and "allowed" items vary considerably from association, and from rec to NFHS. Also, whoever you're working for first will have suggestions about what are the most important things to pay attention to as you're just beginning.

PS I suggest getting your wife into the stripes, too. I've found being on the court to be a terrific break from the housework and the kids. It's really nice to have some power over the whiners and howlers. At home, if I try to throw my kids a T, they just laugh!
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Pants & Shirts & Shoes etc...

There are many different types of slacks. The Sansabelts are very nice. Honig's makes a nice slack too. There are pleated, non-pleated, western pockets etc... I would get a cheap pair for starters in case you do not like officiaiting as much. That way you haven't invested alot of money in it. I go for comfort!!!!!

As far as shirts go, Most officials are wearing a collarless v-neck. Honig's make a nice micromesh shirt. I prefer to wear a shirt made by Dalco Athletic. It is micromesh and a little thicker than the Honig's shirt.

There are a number of different shoes out there but it all depends on your foot. It also depends on how much you want to spend. I purchased a pair of Nike Shox R4's a few years ago($130) and This year I purchased the Ken Griffey's by Nike ($80). Both shoes are nice and conmfortable (check out eastbay.com, they usually have alot of all black shoes that many officials wear) Go for comfort!!!!! The National Federation Officials manual says that the shoes must be ALL BLACK so I just purchased some black shoe polish and covered up the tiny grey swoosh. Polish your shoes before you go out on the court! It looks alot better than a pair that aren't!

You will go through the trial and error phase for awhile until you find some pants, shoes and shirt that makes you feel comfortable.

O, one more thing. When you get started, carry both a white and black undershirt. That way if your partner wears a white/black t-shirt underneath, you will have one to wear and you will look like a team out there.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
PS I suggest getting your wife into the stripes, too.
You put the "grrrr" in swinger baby, yeah!