The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Saw it on the highlights. Seemed to be a dubious call, especially in that situation. Comments welcome.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

We've been discussing it here:

http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...0&pagenumber=2

Some other threads, too.

Pretty obvious to me - State player running directly behind the dribbler, reaches out, pulls the Vandy player down by his shoulder.

No play on the ball.
No attempt to attain a legal guarding position on defense.
Stopped an obvious scoring attempt in progress.

All together, you have to have an intentional foul.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
Saw it on the highlights. Seemed to be a dubious call, especially in that situation. Comments welcome.
What did the situation have to do with it?
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:40am
Huck Finn

Mark, totally agree. Grabbed the player's shoulder. Done deal.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Mark, totally agree. Grabbed the player's shoulder. Done deal.
There was an ESPN announcer on last night completely ripping Libbey and saying how bad of an official the guy is -- saying how Libbey thinks that all games he works are A vs. B starring Dave Libbey and how he thinks that the assignments have nothing at all to do with ability but rather name recognition of the officials.

I couldn't believe how completely unprofessional this announcer was. I was truly stunned.

Younger guy and I have no idea who he was.

--Rich
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I guess you didn't read the comments from the Vandy player that stated he saw him coming from behind and stopped to intentionally draw contact. Definetly not a good call.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 01:13pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by 35thPony
I guess you didn't read the comments from the Vandy player that stated he saw him coming from behind and stopped to intentionally draw contact. Definetly not a good call.
Are you a referee, or just another fanboy/troll?

Whatinhell does a player with the ball stopping have to do with whether the foul was called intentional or not? To answer my own question- "F**K ALL!!" Read the damn definitions in the rulebook. Learn the difference between a common foul and an intentional foul. Then tell us intelligently why you think that the play wasn't, and couldn't be an intentional foul, according to the respective rules definitions. The dribbler stopping has got dick all to do with anything!!

Sorry, folks, but I'm just getting a little sick of reading posts that crap on officials from posters that don't have a clue what an intentional foul really is in the first place, by rule.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The Vanderbilt player was pretty darn smart - more power to him for using the rules to his advantage.

Him slowing, however, wouldn't cause the NC State player to grab and push the Vandy player down from behind . . .
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Welcome! We need another fanboy idiot on here!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

I have eyes, which some people don't seem to because you are the only ones who saw Melvin actually grab him. I have the tape if you would like it. He actually pulled his hands back. You guys are just sticking up for someone in your profession which is cool... Just not accurate here.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I have eyes, which some people don't seem to because you are the only ones who saw Melvin actually grab him. I have the tape if you would like it. He actually pulled his hands back. You guys are just sticking up for someone in your profession which is cool... Just not accurate here.
We need a graphic that we can throw up as a fanboy alert.

Amazing how many have come out of the woodwork -- how do you think they find sites like this? Do they Google officiating websites so they can come in and rip officials? Maybe they think D-I officials come in to see what fanboys say about them?
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fanboy, you don't have to use your hands to commit an intentional foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't say you had to use you hands, but you guys are saying he did use his hands and that is a lie. Larry Rose must post here.
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 05:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I didn't say you had to use you hands, but you guys are saying he did use his hands and that is a lie. Larry Rose must post here.

OK, if you're so sure, please tell us EXACTLY what criteria are needed to have an intentional foul according to the rule book, and why this particular play failed to meet those criteria.

I await your knowledgeable and informed answer.

PS- If you somehow fail to answer this very easy question, we would all appreciate it very much if you would then kindly have the courtesy to piss off. And don't come back.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

He did not commit an intentional foul because he did not attempt to foul. Think about the situation that NC State was in when this foul was called... Just think about it... He was chasing back to get into the play when the other player stopped and intentionally drew contact with Melvin. State was leading with little time left... Any moron would know he was not attempting to foul. Melvin made no attempt at the ball because he was not attempting to foul. It was incidental contact all the way so by definition it wasn't intentional.
Closed Thread