The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I am trying to get some information on the 'triangle' that has been introduced into NCAA 3 man mechanics.

It is pretty urgent can anyone help with a website I can download just to get an overview of the principle of how it works? Or how it has changed from the previous 3-man.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I would be interested to know what you find out. This is the first I have heard of the "triangle." Please share when you find out.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

OK, 'my name' for it.

I have heard that the principle is that on a drive to basket the 3 man (triangle) pushes up to the baseline, ie L and C squeeze up.

May be better aksing if there were any general changes to 'drives to the basket' coverage this season, any changes in responsibility/mechanics movement?

Anyone help there?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LimeyRef

I have heard that the principle is that on a drive to basket the 3 man (triangle) pushes up to the baseline, ie L and C squeeze up.

Could you explain this more? I know that on a drive, the lead closes down (i.e., moves to the elbow) and on any shot attempt, the C and T take a step or two down toward the baseline to see rebounding better. If this is what you're referring to, I think it's been around for quite some time.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Help on 3 man mechanics

Mark,

Thanks - I am a FIBA referee, working in the Pro Leagues in Europe, but have attended camps in the US, and called international games in the USA in November as exhibitions.

Is there anywhere I can get an up to date NCAA mechanics manual, or download one from a web address - tough to find one across the pond!!
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

You can order one from the CCA (colegiate commissioner's association) - I'm sure someone on here has their website handy - but I don't know of any collegiate mechanics manuals that are online to download for free.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
You can order one from the CCA (colegiate commissioner's association) - I'm sure someone on here has their website handy - but I don't know of any collegiate mechanics manuals that are online to download for free.
From what I found on the attached web page CCA has no web site. I know this isn't what you want to hear but it may save you some time searching.

http://www.ncaa.org/conferences/affiliated.html
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Honigs, Purchase Officials, or someone like this will have the CCA mechanics books. Also contact your local college assignor to possibly obtain one. IAABO may have some avail for sale.

http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat=2&Sub=27&Item=161

[Edited by ace on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 06:35 PM]
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:47pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
I know that on a drive, the lead closes down (i.e., moves to the elbow) ..... [/B]
This cuts off your field of vision and it contrary to what I have been taught and what I do in 3-person. It is still a game of angles so many times it is better to back away and get a good angle. This also applies to the last free throw. A better view can be obtained by getting wide and standing on the end line rather than closing down and moving away from the endline.
The NBA guys stay put on a drive.
Since most of the jumpers, leaners and peekers are finished most of the NCAA officials who remain will also stay put or back away on the drive.
As always situations will cause us to adjust. I'm of the mindset that I should go into a game thinking about being mechanically perfect and adjust from that mindset rather than going in thinking otherwise.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
I know that on a drive, the lead closes down (i.e., moves to the elbow) .....
This cuts off your field of vision and it contrary to what I have been taught and what I do in 3-person. It is still a game of angles so many times it is better to back away and get a good angle. This also applies to the last free throw. A better view can be obtained by getting wide and standing on the end line rather than closing down and moving away from the endline.
The NBA guys stay put on a drive.
Since most of the jumpers, leaners and peekers are finished most of the NCAA officials who remain will also stay put or back away on the drive.
As always situations will cause us to adjust. I'm of the mindset that I should go into a game thinking about being mechanically perfect and adjust from that mindset rather than going in thinking otherwise. [/B]
Yep, L needs to be in the wide angle position on shots.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

I tend to agree - I thought that "close down" only referred to if you were going to rotate, not every time a drive to the hoop started. However, my evaluators/supervisors have told me to do this, so I'll go with how they want the game officiated.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I tend to agree - I thought that "close down" only referred to if you were going to rotate, not every time a drive to the hoop started. However, my evaluators/supervisors have told me to do this, so I'll go with how they want the game officiated.
I have tried both approaches this year. The problem with staying wide is most pronounced when you get a drive coming from the top of the key. In lower level ball, but even in higher level too, every defender in the area collapses on the ball-handler. If they're playing a zone, it's like an implosion! The post defender on my side will step right into my angle. The guard on my side turns inward towards the driver, often times trying to strip the ball, and I lose sight of his hands. That leaves the ball-handler driving into the middle of a rapidly moving pack defenders and me on the outside looking at backs and butts, certainly not hands and arms.

So I prefer to close down as he nears the top of the key, and then step out into the paint when he drives. Now, I realize that I'm gonna catch it for suggesting it's okay to be in the "quicksand." But it's the best look I've been able to get on this play.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 11:40 PM]
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Limeyref, I have a copy of this 3PO triangle mechanic that you are asking about. It is used in the Australian and N.Z. men's national league games and they play to Fiba rules. If you want a copy, email me and I'll send you a copy.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 06:55am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
So I prefer to close down as he nears the top of the key, and then step out into the paint when he drives......
[/B]
Maybe you are doing something wrong. The officials, NCAA and NBA, we see on TV do not do this for the most part. The high school officials I have seen, myself included, in the past five years do not do this. Yes, you can get caught in the paint on occasion but it shouldn't be the norm.

If you are a golfer and you set up wrong to drive would you want to correct it or would you say "sometimes this is the only way I can hit the ball straight?" I know plenty of golfers and I think most of them would want to be mechanically sound with there swing and practice to achieve repeatability even though sometimes you have to watch out for the trees, bunkers and water hazzards. The fundamental swing must remain constant and adjustments are made from there. Might be a farfetched analogy but sometimes I'm farfetched
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Quote:

I have tried both approaches this year. The problem with staying wide is most pronounced when you get a drive coming from the top of the key. In lower level ball, but even in higher level too, every defender in the area collapses on the ball-handler. If they're playing a zone, it's like an implosion! The post defender on my side will step right into my angle. The guard on my side turns inward towards the driver, often times trying to strip the ball, and I lose sight of his hands. That leaves the ball-handler driving into the middle of a rapidly moving pack defenders and me on the outside looking at backs and butts, certainly not hands and arms.

So I prefer to close down as he nears the top of the key, and then step out into the paint when he drives. Now, I realize that I'm gonna catch it for suggesting it's okay to be in the "quicksand." But it's the best look I've been able to get on this play.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 11:40 PM]
BITS & Mark, you guys are doing it right IMO. Most ncaa evaluators want to see the L move in towards the paint, not stay wide when the ball comes in. And there are times when the L gets absolutely the best view by taking a step into the "quicksand".