Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson

Yep, L needs to be in the wide angle position on shots.
I tend to agree - I thought that "close down" only referred to if you were going to rotate, not every time a drive to the hoop started. However, my evaluators/supervisors have told me to do this, so I'll go with how they want the game officiated.
I have tried both approaches this year. The problem with staying wide is most pronounced when you get a drive coming from the top of the key. In lower level ball, but even in higher level too, every defender in the area collapses on the ball-handler. If they're playing a zone, it's like an implosion! The post defender on my side will step right into my angle. The guard on my side turns inward towards the driver, often times trying to strip the ball, and I lose sight of his hands. That leaves the ball-handler driving into the middle of a rapidly moving pack defenders and me on the outside looking at backs and butts, certainly not hands and arms.

So I prefer to close down as he nears the top of the key, and then step out into the paint when he drives. Now, I realize that I'm gonna catch it for suggesting it's okay to be in the "quicksand." But it's the best look I've been able to get on this play.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 11:40 PM]
BITS & Mark, you guys are doing it right IMO. Most ncaa evaluators want to see the L move in towards the paint, not stay wide when the ball comes in. And there are times when the L gets absolutely the best view by taking a step into the "quicksand".