Thread: Ejection
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: don't like it

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
That is actually the only rule I think is really stupid. just my opinion of course. It comes down to vagaries of scheduling. If he intent is to suspend a player from a game at the same level of play, do that. If the intent is to suspend a player from the same level or a higher level, do that.

The situation I am thinking of is a player suspended from a Freshman game not being able to play again if they don't have any more freshman games. So a player could get bounced from a freshman game, have no remaining freshman games to play, and not be able to play at the varsity level for 10 games, while a player bounced from a varsity game could sit one varsity game and be back. Same offense, different result. Makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I know they shouldn't get ejected and all that, but ejections do happen and should be treated in a manner that is equal for all. Having a one-game suspension that affects more than one game for some and not for others is wrong to me.
I don't think there should be ANY automatic suspensions.

There are some situations that simply call for a player being tossed from the rest of the current game.

Now, it may be hard to think of those situations in basketball, but these draconican penalties are usually handed out across the board in all sports in the state.

I am a baseball umpire and I ejected a catcher from a varsity game for jumping up and arguing a call after I warned him not to do it earlier in the game. Wham -- automatic suspension. Some umpires won't eject and some umpires won't report ejections to the state because they feel like imposing their own judgment on the validity of the suspension.

Why not treat each on a case by case basis (by the league or by the state)?

Most will get the one game -- some will get none and some will get more than one.

--Rich