The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
And I can tell you that EVERY call that EVERY NBA official makes get scruitnized as well.

Sitting with an NBA evaluator during a NBA game is the most enlgihting experince anyone could ever do. Everytime a whistle was blown his pen was moving ... The official - his postion and hte call.. questionable "nocalls" are marked. now - as soon as the game is over they're at the locker room door recieivng a digital tape copy of the game. They'll go home and review the entire game, every call, from every avail angle and determine weather or not the call was within the guidelines set by the NBA. An official has to be 85 to 90% correct in a game to maintain thier current ratings.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:15pm
BBallCoach

The Call

I can not believe how upset people are on this board because a boss decided to discipline his employee. What other job is this not allowed to happen in? Gee lighten up everyone.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: The Call

Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
I can not believe how upset people are on this board because a boss decided to discipline his employee. What other job is this not allowed to happen in? Gee lighten up everyone.
Not too many bosses go on national television to discipline employees, especially not when those same employees work on national TV all the time. Even when a newscaster or someone like that screws up royal, a lot of the discipline happens behind closed doors, and then there's a little statement that is very non-harsh. I mean, even Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson's bosses didn't call what happened during the Superbowl a "terrible thing" and apologize for their bad judgment and the seamstress who didn't knot her thread properly didn't even get named. So it does seem a little out of line for one call in one game with one bad (if it was so bad) decision to be publicly singled out and harshly impugned.

Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 08:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
BBallCoach,
No, that's oversimplifying.
It's the method.
It's the public humiliation... for following a rule.
The boss is saying the rules change for specific unwritten reasons. The boss is saying the NCAA rules should not be followed.
The boss is saying the rules are fake, the NCAA is fake.
Then, in order to keep his job, the employee publicly backs it all up to show the game is fake.
This is distressing.
mick

Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When you screw up at work, do you get ripped apart in the national media?

Do you get fired if you produce one widget that isn't to exact tolerance specifications?

Most importantly - are you in a job that is hemorraging respect already, and your boss says something to bring the level of respect even further down?

Dick Bavetta had a great one in his NBA game the other night. No call, player is ticked, says to the broadcaster (while going into the lockers at the half) that the refs have been calling like the end product of bovine males. Player comes out, apologizes, and starts talking about respect for the players and the game. Bavetta stops him and just says "How about you get some respect for what I'm doing out here?"

Priceless ----- just priceless.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
And in what other job does an employee get punished for following the rules? It's not as if he whacked the bench on the first time -- he warned and warned. Now the teams will rightly think they can do whatever they want during a timeout.

The equivalent would be suspending an employee for showing up for work on time.

This is as bad as the Pine Tar situation in 1983. The umpires did what they were supposed to according to rule, and they were fed a poop sandwich.

--Rich
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another coach who manages to misunderstand the situation.

It goes like this, the official followed procedure, and gave out a technical foul as specified in the rules. The "boss" disciplining this ref is like a boss discipling the person who made the most sales in a month. The ref followed the rules, and did everything correctly, he gave warnings again and again. The manager was delaying the game by being on the court after the second horn. That can't happen. So he enforced it, and yet is punished. I think this would be a great situation for the NCAA to stage an NBA style protest. This ref was unfairly disciplined, and i hope he goes after the supervisor with a lawsuit for defamation.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

During one of the NCAA tournament games this past weekend there were people wiping up the floor while the ball was in play at the other end of the court.

[Edited by gostars on Mar 22nd, 2004 at 09:48 PM]
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Common sense says you don't penalize a team for wiping up the floor, regardless of who made it wet.

You expect black and white application of rules from a rookie, not a veteran. Why are we out there, to make the game go better or cause problems?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

BBallCoach, what would you think if this article appeared in your local paper?

Athletic Director: "Horrible game"

By TODD GRAFF, Staff Writer
The News & Record

GREENSBORO -- The AD of XYZ High School said Tuesday that the game coached by BBallCoach in Saturday's Tournament win against ABC High School was a "horribly coached game" and was the reason BBallCoach didn't coach in the rest of the tournament.

BBallCoach, the Head Coach of XYZ High School, coached his #1 seeded team to a one point win against the #16 seed in the tournament, a team that hasn't won a game all year. XYZ was a 40 point favorite over ABC.

"It was a horribly coached game," said athletic director I. Hired Amoron, who hired BBallCoach. "That's why he was sent home.

"Obviously, we won the game. But, as I told him, on the stage we're on, you have to be able to beat a team that hasn't won all year and who you're a 40 point favorite over by more than 1 point!" There's no reason to punish a team because a coach can't coach."

I. Hired Amoron said he would need to speak further with BBallCoach before making a decision on any additional penalty.

"I think he got a pretty big punishment" by not coaching in the rest of the tourneament, Amoron said.

BBallCoach, who could not be reached for comment Tuesday, is one of the league's most respected coaches. He has won nine Tournament title games -- tied for second behind I. M. Wunderful's 13 on the all-time list. He has coached in four State Championships (1993, '98, '99 and 2003). He was named the League Coach of the Year in 2002.

"The team won the game," the AD said. "But he just didn't coach the game the way I thought he should, even though what he did may be acceptable among coaches. But to win by 1, I told him, 'With 20 years experience, I could expect that out of (a less experienced coach), but not you.' "

Amoron said he spoke with the team about the coach, although that didn't constitute an official apology from the school The players declined to comment on the incident Tuesday.

"They appreciated the talk," Barakat said. "It was very positive. But theyunderstand that I had no other choice."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down That's not the issue.

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Common sense says you don't penalize a team for wiping up the floor, regardless of who made it wet.

You expect black and white application of rules from a rookie, not a veteran. Why are we out there, to make the game go better or cause problems?
Without regard to whether the call should have been made or not, Barakat is an IDIOT for making these types of comments about an official.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with Bktball, public discussion by those in authority is uncalled for.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just piling on: Discipline is fine. Public excoriation is not fine, no matter what job you're in.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach -- I'd have to strongly differ with your opinion of the accountability of NBA Officiating. At each NBA game there is an Officials Observer in attendance (they get paid about $25k for the season - not a bad "gig", huh?). They are required to file a report, w/in 24hrs. of the game,with the league office. I have worked small college games w/ the person based in Chicago; that's how I have this insight. He told me that he uses a system to note every time the whistle blows - who blew the whistle, time of game, reason, etc. After the game, he is given a DVD of the game that he can review on his NBA-provided laptop to take a second look at questionable calls/non-calls. The entire game crew actually reviews the game in the locker room before leaving the arena. The Observer, as well as the game officials, are required to take online rules tests and view game situations on a regular basis.
I believe there are 3 (maybe 4) "mentors" from the league office that are assigned to work with officials to create development plans for individual improvement (areas such as: conflict resolution, leadership, mechanics, communication, etc.). All league staff have Blackberry devices to immediately communicate needed updates or rule interps.
This is the first year of this comprehensive evaluation program. There was an article 2-3 months ago in Referee Magazine that also included some details about the new program. I certainly think it is quite impressive.....
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

All right already. I am wrong on the scrutiny, but I still don't see the public face that the NFL gives, as cited by Tony.

As for the comments, yes the horrible is over the line, as is any public humiliation. However, saying how they want a rule enforced, and expecting refs to understand how a rule is expected to be enforced, especially one like this, is not as over the line as some of you seem to think. This is not the same as just throwing out the entire rulebook. The delay rule is there for resuming play after a TO, but obviously the ACC does not want to push this issue to the point of a T in the circumstances as they occurred - ACC semifinal, national TV, etc. Maybe they don't even want it on a VA-Clemson regionally televised Wednesday night regular season game - but certainly not in a game of this magnitude.

It is not clear that a major advantage is gained by the team violating this technicality, and clearly not cleaning the water up would be a bad solution (and would that have resulted in a T?). Other delays, like keeping the ball from the other team after a made basket, have a serious impact on the game. Media timeouts are long enough anyway that 15 extra seconds isn't going to win or lose anybody a basketball game. Players probably are sick of listening at that point anyway, so the advantage goe to UMD!