The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 08:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
Who's the most famous player you've ever officiated?
Steve Nash. Excellent speaker. Has a true and genuine love for the game and deserves everything he's worked for and will work for.

True story: I'm reffin the All Canada Camp, a showcase for the best high school talent in the Great White North.

Lunch break one day and a pick-up game broke out. Nash was there as the camp's guest speaker and he was playing in the pick-up game. A small guard (left-handed) from BC (British Columbia), had the ball and was isolated with Nash playing D, left hand side of the hoop. Kid does a dipsy-doo/twist/cross-over/something-else-thatI-can't-do and schools Steve Nash, takes it to the hole and lays it in. Of course, Steve didn't give up and tried to get back to block the shot, to no avail. Nice play by the kid (17 yrs old). 3-4 plays later, same thing, he's iso with Nash. Kid does another move and gets by Nash. Now, granted Nash is a better player than he was 4-5 years ago, but he didn't even try to get back that time: he just walked away clapping, knowing he was beat again. Very classy move. I know it totally made the kids weekend becuase I embarrased him at breakfast the next morning, "Hey, you're the kid that schooled Steve Nash..." he buddies break out laughing and pointing and whatever else those actions are called that kids did then-a-days, and try to chest bump him, then I continue, "... twice." The kid got his kudos again. Everyone was wondering what was going one.

Also reffed Bill Lambier's (sp?) daughter a few times. They'd come up from Michigan to attend some Ontario tournaments. That guy is tall!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I've coached against teams with quite a few D1 players. The only current players are Ashli Schwab (Penn State), Katie Hayek (Miami) and Becky Hower (Rider). But I've outcoached Kelly Mazzante about 37 times in our games working individual camps at Penn State! Although she has made me look like I'm standing in concrete in our lunchtime and late-night games between the Lady Lions and the other coaches.

[Edited by A Pennsylvania Coach on Mar 17th, 2004 at 10:48 AM]
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jim Armstrong
How about we name the most famous player we have ever met.
I met Julius Erving on my honeymoon in Maui in 1986.
He was staying in the room next to us. He was my boyhood idol, and I was standing outside my room by the railing, waiting for my wife to come out. He opened the door next to ours and walked out. I almost fainted. We ended up having a nice conversation, and ran into each other a couple of more times during the week.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

When Bird coached the Pacers we went to watch a few summer league games. My older son, who was around 10-11 at the time, waited by the locker room door for Bird to come out so he could get his autograph. I waited in the stands. He stood, waiting for a few minutes, while I watched from a distance. Finally, he gave up. Not only did he miss getting Bird's autograph, he also missed out on Moses Malone's, who was standing next to my son the whole time.

- Catherine Aird
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 06:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

And I've reffed WITH Jesse Liebman, who I wouldn't be surprised to see in the NBA in a few years. He's got the drive, the talent and the thick skin to make it as a pro, but he's only 16. We'll see what ends up happening in the long run.
Juulie - I agree with you about Jesse. Gee - I wonder who got him into officiating and initially trained him? Hmmmmm?

BTW - Jesse will be working with me on a political campaign this fall. He will be in charge of student volunteers in a state representative race in our district. This kid is incredibly sharp and is a much better ref than his dad.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
When Kareem Abdul-Jabbar coached in Phoenix a few years back, I had his team in a local tourney. Shook his hand and his fingertips almost touched my elbow!
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 09:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Jurassic Referee was unable to post a reply, so he asked me to copy and paste for him.

Quote:
Originally post by Jurassic Referee
I officiated for many great coaches, such as Dr. Naismith and many great players, the greatest of whom was George Mikan!
Here's a rare photo of JR in action!

nice butt.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 09:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
[/B]
Here's a rare photo of JR in action!

[/B][/QUOTE]
nice butt.

[/B][/QUOTE]Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Keith Bogans when he was in the 8th grade. He told me he was going to DeMatha the next year.

Grant Hill (South Lakes HS)

Bill Cowher's (Steelers) daughter in AAU last year. Btw, he told me I missed an OOB on the opponents. I never address parents, but I had to tell him the rules are different in basketball. He laughed about it and said, Touche!
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Now he is a little more famous after tonight's upset of Mich. St.

I officiated Todd Okeson when he was a Sr. in high school out here in Western Kansas. He went to Weskan High School. A little school with approximately 35-45 students enrolled K-12.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 10:52pm
In Memoriam

Re: Now he is a little more famous after tonight's upset of Mich. St.

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
I officiated Todd Okeson when he was a Sr. in high school out here in Western Kansas. He went to Weskan High School. A little school with approximately 35-45 students enrolled K-12.
FHSUref,
I like him! Looks like he carrys just enough attitude to earn the respect of his peers. Good leader.
mick
Go Spartans! Go Tigers!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Now he is a little more famous after tonight's upset of Mich. St.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
FHSUref,
I like him! Looks like he carrys just enough attitude to earn the respect of his peers. Good leader.
mick
Go Spartans! Go Tigers!
He was an enjoy to officiate. Very polite, handing you the ball, addressing you with respect. He comes from a fairly athletic family. His father was an all american in the early 60's here (FHSU). His sister played some ball at Missouri before her shoulder gave out on her and he has a younger brother at Dodge City Community College right now that is very athletic. I would like to see Todd go far in the tourney. Maybe get a little recognition for NW Kansas beside the great Jackie Stiles!
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up OKESON

Ahh, so now you believe that Todd Okeson is legitamately a "famous player!"

GO WOLFPACK!
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Chris Webber, Shane Battier when in high school at Detroit Country Day. Jason Richardson, Anthony Roberson (Florida).
Charles Rogers (MSU, Detroit Lions).
Bill Laimbeer (my favorite Piston Bad Boy), Dan Majerle (Phoenix & Miami) at benefit softball tournament.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2004, 09:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
Chris Webber, Shane Battier when in high school at Detroit Country Day. Jason Richardson, Anthony Roberson (Florida).
Charles Rogers (MSU, Detroit Lions).
Bill Laimbeer (my favorite Piston Bad Boy), Dan Majerle (Phoenix & Miami) at benefit softball tournament.
You are a BAAAD Girl!