The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

I work a lot of YMCA games. Yesterday in a middle school game we were coming back from a time out by Team Blue. I blew the whistle for Team Blues' players to come onto the court. The whistle was ignored. The other team was already on the court. I blew the whistle a second time; again, Team Blue's coach ignored me but you could tell the players were watching me and were restless to get back in. Finally, I approached their huddle, and yelled, Coach, get your players back in the game, and this is your first delay of game warning.

What's the mechanic for a delay of game, or is there one? How would you report this to the table?

Greg
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

When you have sufficiently warned the delaying team that they need to get back on the floor, blow your whistle, put the ball on the floor at the spot and start counting or, if the team delaying is on defense,, hand the ball to the opposing team.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game Warning...

Don't have my rulebooks and hand and am pulling a "brain fart":

Is this a D.O.G. that would be "officially" recorded in the scorebook, like reaching across the plane, slapping the ball away after a made basket, et al.?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

BBR described the resumption of play procedure for the situation in the original post. It is not a delay warning and is not entered into the books. However, they probably won't do it again.

Mregor
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Read rule 10-5 for your delay team technicals. There are only three warnings given:
a. Interfering with the ball after a made basket.
b. Delay of game prior to a free throw. This would be a huddle when you are ready to administer the throw.
c. Reaching through the out of bounds plane on a throw in.

These are the rule book warnings, but using good game management skills you will have alot more during the course of the game. In your post, there is no warning, you just put the ball on the floor or give the ball to the team that is ready if it is their ball. You shouldn't do this unless there is no appearance of breaking the huddle by the team that is at the bench.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
I don't have my book handy, but what about starting the game and a team won't come out for the jump ball?

My two sense!
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007
I don't have my book handy, but what about starting the game and a team won't come out for the jump ball?
Just get them out. Period.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 05:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Easy. Line 'em up and get ready to toss it. Worst case scenario, howler monkey gets the first alternate possession.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
By rule they get 1 minute, then it's a T.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
When you have sufficiently warned the delaying team that they need to get back on the floor, blow your whistle, put the ball on the floor at the spot and start counting or, if the team delaying is on defense,, hand the ball to the opposing team.
I did this once, handed the ball to the offense without the defense being ready. They scored on that play unopposed, and won the game by 2 pts. The next season, we were talking about similar situations at a meeting. We were then told never to do this. They emphised that fact. Thank God, my partner didn't bring this up.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Use the correct procedure as described by BktBall and you won't have any problems. I used it at least 5 times this year. Every time the team barely got the ball inbounds in time, but in each case both teams got out of their huddles in time the rest of the game. I never had it happen with the B team being slow, but it would be interesting to see A score without any resistance.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I did this once, handed the ball to the offense without the defense being ready. They scored on that play unopposed, and won the game by 2 pts. The next season, we were talking about similar situations at a meeting. We were then told never to do this. They emphised that fact. Thank God, my partner didn't bring this up.
Those that said never to do this must be a bunch of ex-coaches. Just follow the rules. It's their fault not yours that they weren't ready to play at the proper time.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

The person who said never to do this was my assignor, so i tend to listen to the advice he gives me.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
The person who said never to do this was my assignor, so i tend to listen to the advice he gives me.
How unfortunate.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
By rule they get 1 minute, then it's a T.
I knew there was a rule about the start of the 2nd half, but I was not aware of a rule for the jump ball. Please cite the rule?