The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I think Chuck was saying the HS's use shot clock. And given the same play as the OSU/Texas game, the HS officials would have done the same as the officials in the OSU/Texas game. Which means they would have gone to courtside monitor.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I think Chuck was saying the HS's use shot clock. And given the same play as the OSU/Texas game, the HS officials would have done the same as the officials in the OSU/Texas game. Which means they would have gone to courtside monitor.
A courtside monitor is *not* allowed under the fed rules -maybe I'm missing something here but I'm still not sure I know what the point is.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
A courtside monitor is *not* allowed under the fed rules -maybe I'm missing something here but I'm still not sure I know what the point is.
The point is that I spoke a little too quickly. We would not do exactly what the guys on TV did, b/c they went to the monitor. And in HS we couldn't do that.

I forgot that they went to the monitor. I should've said that we would've ruled exactly the way the guys on TV did -- even without the monitor.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
The point is that I spoke a little too quickly. We would not do exactly what the guys on TV did, b/c they went to the monitor. And in HS we couldn't do that.

I forgot that they went to the monitor. I should've said that we would've ruled exactly the way the guys on TV did -- even without the monitor.
Oh...never mind

Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I was referring to the lag time provision in the NFHS rules as Mark Dexter pointed out.
I'm not convinced that you can run a shot clock in an NFHS game exactly like the NCAA does for two reasons.
1. First, I believe that under the current NFHS code all states that are using a shot clock are doing so against NFHS rules. I do not believe that the use of a shot clock falls into any of the 7 listed State Association Adoptions listed on page 68 of the Rules Book.

That objection aside, let's deal with the fact that some states are using it.

2. My second objection is that the states which use the shot clock seem to fail to detail exactly how to run it. I am familiar with the CA rules as they are published in the CBOA (California Basketball Officials Association) handbook, and they give a number of case plays, but not one where the shot clock expires just after a whistle. In the absence of a clear provision, I think we have to fall back on normal NFHS timing rules, and not follow NCAA rules, since this is an NFHS game.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I'm not convinced that you can run a shot clock in an NFHS game exactly like the NCAA does for two reasons.
1. First, I believe that under the current NFHS code all states that are using a shot clock are doing so against NFHS rules. I do not believe that the use of a shot clock falls into any of the 7 listed State Association Adoptions listed on page 68 of the Rules Book.
This is true. But since it's completely against FED rules, why can't you do it completely by NCAA rules? That's what we do in MA.

Quote:
2. the states which use the shot clock seem to fail to detail exactly how to run it. In the absence of a clear provision, I think we have to fall back on normal NFHS timing rules, and not follow NCAA rules, since this is an NFHS game.
Well, I only work in MA (for HS), so I can only speak for MA. But we are told clearly that all NCAA rules apply for our shot clock. They give us some case plays and we're expected to know the shot clock rules. Most guys don't know them. But that doesn't mean we ignore them if we do know them.

Since there are NO rules whatsoever to govern the shot clock in FED, it seems to me to make more sense to use the rules that were made expressly for the shot clock; viz, the NCAA rules.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I like both of your points, and as long as your state assocition clearly puts it in writing that ALL aspects of the shot clock should be governed by NCAA rules it is perfectly fine with me. Actually, I believe that is the intelligent way to do it. But what would you do if your state didn't specify this?

I should also state that I've worked in MD with a shot clock in girls only and their rules were quite vague.