The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Situation..

Fight breaks out in the stands during first of two free throws. Two players from team 'A' come off the bench and run to the opposite side of the court to see the fight upclose. None of the ten players on the court or the two off the bench participate in the fight.

I immediately ejected the 2 players out of the game for comming off the bench and place them in the change room. Didn't assess any technicals or team fouls. I think i am correct under NCAA rules because neither player paricipated in the fight. Comments???

keep smiling
SH

[Edited by hoopsrefBC on Dec 18th, 2000 at 12:09 AM]
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

I think you did the right thing. 10-9-3e
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Question not so sure

Although I understand your intent, I don't believe you were correct with the ruling. Did you decide not to T them because they were looking rather than punching?

My understanding is that anytime you toss a player, or bench personnel, it is BECAUSE of a Tech and should be penalized as such.

Without splitting hairs defining "participating in a fight", the players did leave the bench DURING and BECAUSE of a fight.

Should be assessed, penalized (4 FTs and resume at point of interruption), and reported (they will miss next game).

Sounds severe, but you can bet they won't do it again.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Pizanno,

You might be correct...

I have read the NCAA rules over and am pretty sure i did get it correct. The NCAA have split hairs and have defined "participating in a fight" very good. A.R#16 and A.R.#17 on page BR-116 of the new rule book splits the hairs quite nicely.

I would agree with your outcome of the situation if the players had actually participated in the fight, however since they didn't. The players and coach arn't penelized.
I ejected the players from the game. I didn't assess any foul, either technical or personal. No foul, no penelty.

Thanks Bob, i just want to make sure i got it correct.

keep smiling
SH
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see if I got this straight.
You ejected 2 bench players for coming off the bench
during a fight in the stands between fans.(no players involved?)What happens if that fight breaks out behind the bench and they all leave to get away from the fight?
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question could be a stupid question, but...

BC-

...what did your supervisor say?

paulk - i think common sense should prevail and not penalize the players.

The situation described by BC is different with 2 bench players not using their heads and SHOULD be deterred, which he rightly did.

[Edited by pizanno on Dec 18th, 2000 at 06:59 PM]
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAULK1
Let me see if I got this straight.
You ejected 2 bench players for coming off the bench
during a fight in the stands between fans.(no players involved?)What happens if that fight breaks out behind the bench and they all leave to get away from the fight?
I would use common sense..my game the players ran across the court to get to the fight, the situation you describe they are trying to get away from the fight. By rule they have left the team bence area, however lets not get carried away.

If you have the NCAA rule book read A.R.#16 page 116.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you....Just trying to play out every situation
to provoke discussion...since your situation happened mine will probably happen to someday and lets hope everyone uses common sense.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: not so sure

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
Should be assessed, penalized (4 FTs and resume at point of interruption), and reported (they will miss next game).

Sounds severe, but you can bet they won't do it again.
Rules references, please.

Under Fed, leaving the bench and not participating is a flagrant on the participants, but only 1 indirect on the coach (no matter how many leave the bench) and only 1 team foul (two throws).

Under NCAA rules (which is what hoopsrefBC uses), it's just an ejection -- no team fouls, no shots, no indirect fouls.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Re: could be a stupid question, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by pizanno
BC-

...what did your supervisor say?

paulk - i think common sense should prevail and not penalize the players.

The situation described by BC is different with 2 bench players not using their heads and SHOULD be deterred, which he rightly did.

[Edited by pizanno on Dec 18th, 2000 at 06:59 PM]
because we have just changed from FIBA rules to NCAA rules there has been alot of discussion on these types of situations. Lucky for me my supervisor is also my mentor.

After a length discussion, we determined that i had indeed gotten the procedure correct. However, to be safe my local supervisor is going to discuss this situation with the provincial supervisor and report back.

Thanks for the input everyone...

keep smiling
SH