The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

How much credibility do you give a coach who is a total jerk during the games and then proceeds to want to be friends after the game?

In doing a regional tournament last weekend a coach proceeded to complain and whine about EVERY call, my partner and I didnt give him a technical. Well I had the coach again during the semifinals, and again he was an idiot, I rung him up. Prior to the start of the second half he approaches me and states, "I know I was on you guys pretty hard last night and probably deserved one then but I dont think I deserved the one i got today." \

There are coaches that you know if they complain or say something then theres probably a problem. I respect those coaches and usually tend to listen to them, but this idiot complained about every single call. He even approached my crewchief and said his girls overheard me telling the other team(my old high school)to beat his team. What I really said was "good luck in your game against the other team." Then later in the evening he approaches me and says, "i hope there are no hard feelings." and shakes my hand.

If your going to be an AHOLE then be one! Dont be an *** during the game and then try to be Mr. Nice guy afterwards and try and get everybody to like you. Just my ramblings, sorry so long.

P.S. Ive got the state tournament this weekend, we'll see what happens
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wyoref
How much credibility do you give a coach who is a total jerk during the games and then proceeds to want to be friends after the game?
As much as he has earned. ZERO.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 04:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

The term "coach credibility" is an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" and "army intelligence".
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

"Humble Senior Member" Hey, you started it.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There are coaches that you know if they complain or say something then theres probably a problem. I respect those coaches and usually tend to listen to them, but this idiot complained about every single call.
I agree. Crying wolf eventually leads to being ignored. A coach that is quiet all but once or twice a game will ensure that he is heard.

Quote:
He even approached my crewchief and said his girls overheard me telling the other team(my old high school)to beat his team. What I really said was "good luck in your game against the other team."
Why would you do this? If I'm going to say good luck to anyone I say it to both. For that matter, I don't like saying good luck...that leaves room for the come back "Are we going to needed it?" Instead, I say play hard and have fun.

Also, if it's your alma matter, why are you even working their games? If that is acceptable in your area due to a lack of officials, etc., why are you talking with the team? I'm sure that was another regional matchup that didn't involve your alma matter. If for some reason I did work my school, I'd make absolutely sure I didn't create an opportunity for anyone to misinterpret my fairness and neutrality.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
The term "coach credibility" is an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" and "army intelligence".
I thought the same thing when I saw the topic! Should those two words be used in the same sentence?

As the Fruit Cake Lady once said, "Some people are born an acehole, they're an acehole all their life, and they'll die an acehole!"
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

WYORef

WyoRef

What part of Wyo are you from? I think I just had a feeling of deja-vu in asking you this question. If I am asking you twice, my apologies. I was in Green River, then Laramie years ago.

Speaking of alma-maters. Did you get any of the teams from GR if you are working the 4A? From what I have seen both were in the playoff hunt.

Have a great tourney.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He even approached my crewchief and said his girls overheard me telling the other team(my old high school)to beat his team. What I really said was "good luck in your game against the other team."
Why in the world would you say something like this? I think you stepped over the line here. I don’t care what you think you said because what you did was to interject into the game a question about your honesty. And to make matters worse, it is your old school that you are wishing luck.

I wonder how much trolling is going on here? Anyone who has progressed to the level to be selected for a state tournament should know better.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Along those same lines

I can remember 3 years ago I did my first Varsity game and after the boys game, the coach (who is also the AD) comes into the locker room after they won and tells us "good job." Of course, I was young so I ate it up.

After he left, my partner (who has been officiating for 28 years and has been recomended to officiate a state tournament for 26 years in a row), told me, "If they win and tell you good job, it doesn't mean much. It is if they lose and tell you a good job that it means something." I took it to heart. For the past 3 years, I have had 2 (yes two) coaches tell me good job after a loss.

I am sure that a winning coach that tells you good job can mean it. Just ask yourself though would that same coach tell you good job after a loss?
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

You're an educated man. Allow me to pay you the compliment of being blunt.

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
I am sure that a winning coach that tells you good job can mean it. Just ask yourself though would that same coach tell you good job after a loss?
Let me pass a nugget along to you.

Without regard to win or lose, if he says you did a good job and you believe him, then do you also believe him when he tells you that you sucked?

Bottom line, most coaches couldn't give a crap about you. They just want what you can do for them the next time.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

I could care less whether a coach says good job, you suck or anyhting like that. The point here is that the situation arises more times than not where there is that awkward situation in the hospitality room or passing in the hall at a tournament or after the game when you go to your vehicle and they are on the way to the bus that they may tell you good job, you blow, get some new contacs etc... AHHHH who really cares right?
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
AHHHH who really cares right?
My point exactly.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Let me clarify, I told some of the girls from the high school i was from "good luck" prior to their game as I was talking to some of the parents I knew. It was not during the game, I did not officiate their game.

I dont tell coaches good luck prior to a game, i simply say "have a good game"

[Edited by wyoref on Mar 9th, 2004 at 09:30 PM]
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Icallfouls

TO answer your question, I live in Laramie, Wy. And yes as a matter of fact, my first State Tourney game Thursday is Gillette/Green River Boys. Should be a fun one.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wyoref which regional

Wyoref,
Which regional did you work?? 3A east/west or 4a north/south?? I was at 2a southeast, but alas a week earlier than yours...