The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Sorry I don't have a link, I got this from another BBS.

Girls basketball team in Texas shut out by 103 points
Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The score was enough to cause double-takes, eye-rubbing and incredulous, dropped-jaw responses: "No. It just couldn't be."
Arlington Oakridge 103, Duncanville Christway 0.
In one of the biggest blowouts ever in girls high school basketball, the Christway Lady Chapparrals turned the ball over 46 times, shot 0-for-23 and missed both of their foul shots in the game Monday night.
They trailed 63-0 at halftime.
"We played everybody," Oakridge coach Chris Spurlock said. "I don't know what else we could have done."
He said he never considered just letting Christway score. After all, a furor erupted earlier this year in college basketball when an injured Nykesha Sales of Connecticut was allowed to score an uncontested layup to break the school scoring record.
"I wouldn't want somebody to just give me a basket if I were in that position," Spurlock said of Christway. "That's more humiliating than getting shut out. I hope they understand that."
Part of the problem for Christway was Oakridge's height advantage.
Oakridge's smallest player, 5-4 Whitney Rial, said that when she stepped on the court, her teammates commented: "Wow, you're taller than all of them."
"They were really nice," Rial said, referring to her opponents. "Nothing was said. You could see they were frustrated, though."
The Christway players and their coach, who have lost all six of their games this season, couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday. Telephone calls to the suburban Dallas school were not answered.
The widest shutout margin in girls high school basketball history was Meriden Washington's 148-0 victory over South Norwalk on March 1, 1924, in Connecticut, according to Street & Smith's Official Basketball Yearbook and Doug Huff, a longtime record keeper of high school sports.
There also have been at least two 106-0 routs, one in 1972 in Ohio, when Logan defeated Sugar Grove; the other in 1931 in Oklahoma, when Alluwe beat Chelsea.
Nationally, the biggest victory margin was 164 points -- set in Riverside Poly's 179-15 victory over Riverside Norte Vista in California in the 1981-82 season.
The widest high school boys shutout is 136-0, when Shinnston High defeated Weirton in West Virginia in 1918, Huff said.
There was one consolation for Christway: Losing by 103 points was not the biggest blowout ever in Texas. Sweeny beat Stafford 132-2 in 1984, according to the Texas High School All-Time Record Book
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Talking

Maybe they should have went to a man-to-man defense...
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 03:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Well........

Girls basketall, its a FANTASTIC!!!!!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
"We played everybody," Oakridge coach Chris Spurlock said. "I don't know what else we could have done."
I did a game that could have been almost this bad, except that the coach did know "what else" could be done. These kinds of blow-outs are a pet peeve of mine. I think running up the score is very unsportsmanlike. Personal opinion.

This game I did the other night, the coach put in her third string of course, and then started designing new plays, that her kids weren't very good at. Then every girl played in an unfamiliar position. Because of these adjustments by the way-ahead team, the final score was "only" 82-24, although it was 56-10 at the half. Also, I never heard a single word of complaint from the coach, although last year a different coach of the same team chipped constantly through the three games I worked for his team. I like this new coach a lot better!!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 05:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Question How?

How can you prevent a blowout this bad if one team is so much better than the other team? You cannot expect that the kids that are more talented to stop playing. They want to do good too. It is not like football that you just tell a team to just run the ball, but even then if a team is more talented, it might not make much difference. But that is my opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie
I did a game that could have been almost this bad, except that the coach did know "what else" could be done. These kinds of blow-outs are a pet peeve of mine. I think running up the score is very unsportsmanlike. Personal opinion.

This game I did the other night, the coach put in her third string of course, and then started designing new plays, that her kids weren't very good at. Then every girl played in an unfamiliar position. Because of these adjustments by the way-ahead team, the final score was "only" 82-24, although it was 56-10 at the half. Also, I never heard a single word of complaint from the coach, although last year a different coach of the same team chipped constantly through the three games I worked for his team. I like this new coach a lot better!!
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question 4-corners?

Does Texas use a shot clock? If not, then what prevented the Oakridge coach from telling his team to sit on the ball for the majority of the second half? Have the team work on their ball-handling and passing skills.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 02:25am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Re: 4-corners?

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Morgan
Does Texas use a shot clock? If not, then what prevented the Oakridge coach from telling his team to sit on the ball for the majority of the second half? Have the team work on their ball-handling and passing skills.
I don't agree with that at all. Sure - the final total for the better team might be lower, but that takes away the lesser team's chances to score.

I have worked some mismatches where one team was ahead by over 50 points. The coaches usually tell their team to pass a certain number of times before shooting, shoot only threes, try to give the shots to someone who rarely scores, etc. Frankly, telling kids in a game not to try to score is like telling a batter in a blowout baseball game to try to not hit the ball. You can only "penalize" a team so much for being more talented than another team.

Seriously, I never expect the winning coach in a situation like this to do much more than tell his team not to press (even at half court) and to pull back on breakaways and set up instead.

The real blame should be on whoever scheduled this.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 02:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Cool Mark.

Someone has got to play these teams that just are awful. It might have been a conference game, you do not have much choice then.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I did a 79-0 game a few weeks ago. The winning coach stopped pressing 3 minutes in, cleared the bench, but there wasn't much he could do. The other team threw stupid passes across the floor, fumbled the ball, and just plain could not play ball. I agree that new plays, or other things should not happen. I think you need to treat it like a practice, why let them pick up bad habits. As long as you are not pressing, trapping, or putting pressure on them ball, what else can they do? Neither coach asked to cut the game.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

In AAU we get this a lot. We have been on both sides of the blowouts, because we play teams that are playing above their level, and we get placed above our level at times. Definitely can't stop the kids from playing. I do try new defenses, working on passing,etc. When you have a mismatch, it is next to impossible to even it up without completely ceasing to play defense, which I will not do, nor do I expect my opponents to quit when they are blowing out my team.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 11:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb we've done this in rec games

Certainly, this situation happens much more often in rec games than in league. Next time, try this: reverse the score at halftime. Give the team that's ahead the lower point total and the other team the higher.

The better team tries to "come back" and win and the worse team tries to "hold on to the lead".

Of course, the inequity isn't addressed but the kids seem to have more fun that way.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

they only went to the line twice?! that crew wasn't "looking" hard enough for shooting fouls!
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

I have a feeling they wanted to game to end, quickly.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

yeah, but if they could "help" get at least ONE point on the board, you think we'd be talking about this?