View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 16, 2000, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Sorry I don't have a link, I got this from another BBS.

Girls basketball team in Texas shut out by 103 points
Associated Press

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The score was enough to cause double-takes, eye-rubbing and incredulous, dropped-jaw responses: "No. It just couldn't be."
Arlington Oakridge 103, Duncanville Christway 0.
In one of the biggest blowouts ever in girls high school basketball, the Christway Lady Chapparrals turned the ball over 46 times, shot 0-for-23 and missed both of their foul shots in the game Monday night.
They trailed 63-0 at halftime.
"We played everybody," Oakridge coach Chris Spurlock said. "I don't know what else we could have done."
He said he never considered just letting Christway score. After all, a furor erupted earlier this year in college basketball when an injured Nykesha Sales of Connecticut was allowed to score an uncontested layup to break the school scoring record.
"I wouldn't want somebody to just give me a basket if I were in that position," Spurlock said of Christway. "That's more humiliating than getting shut out. I hope they understand that."
Part of the problem for Christway was Oakridge's height advantage.
Oakridge's smallest player, 5-4 Whitney Rial, said that when she stepped on the court, her teammates commented: "Wow, you're taller than all of them."
"They were really nice," Rial said, referring to her opponents. "Nothing was said. You could see they were frustrated, though."
The Christway players and their coach, who have lost all six of their games this season, couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday. Telephone calls to the suburban Dallas school were not answered.
The widest shutout margin in girls high school basketball history was Meriden Washington's 148-0 victory over South Norwalk on March 1, 1924, in Connecticut, according to Street & Smith's Official Basketball Yearbook and Doug Huff, a longtime record keeper of high school sports.
There also have been at least two 106-0 routs, one in 1972 in Ohio, when Logan defeated Sugar Grove; the other in 1931 in Oklahoma, when Alluwe beat Chelsea.
Nationally, the biggest victory margin was 164 points -- set in Riverside Poly's 179-15 victory over Riverside Norte Vista in California in the 1981-82 season.
The widest high school boys shutout is 136-0, when Shinnston High defeated Weirton in West Virginia in 1918, Huff said.
There was one consolation for Christway: Losing by 103 points was not the biggest blowout ever in Texas. Sweeny beat Stafford 132-2 in 1984, according to the Texas High School All-Time Record Book