The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

High school BB is over for me now, and now am looking forward to the camps. I would like some input on what I can do to catch the eyes of the evauluator, this will be my first camp that is run by an college official Dave Hall here in Utah.
What advice can you offer to a young official who wants to move up can to the next level?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 08:28am
Huck Finn

1. Good Uniform - don't do things that will stand out like black socks if you are wearing shorts. I used to live in that region of the country. Depending on your physical condition think about your shirt. A lot of officials wear shirts that are a size too big and are not tailored. If you can do it, try to get a fit more towards the way the NBA officials wear.
2. Be in shape and hustle.
3. Perfect your mechanics in front of the mirror so they are near perfect on the court.
4. Listen and take "yeah, but" out of your vocabulary during camp.
5. Hope and pray that you get a screwed up game at camp. If you get a nice game what does that really say about you as an official? Many times not a lot. If you come out smelling like a rose in a bad game (kids with attitudes, intentional fouls, goaltending, block/charge(s)) it will make you look better.
6. Show courage and ref your primary like it is going out of style. Remember you really have to ref no-calls as well as calls.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Well put tomegun. I like your nice list here. I'll add some.

7. Be early to everything. Don't get noticed the wrong way by being the "late guy."
8. Pregame a ton. Most camps I have attended, my partner varies from game to game. You'll want to go over as much as you possibly can. Situations come up and you'll want to handle them as a team as smoothly as possible.
9. Be a gym rat. If you want to look good at camp, you can learn what the evaluators are looking for by watching other games they do. Talk to them if it is acceptable to be around them. Talk to other officials that have already worked in front of them.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Having been to one of Hall's camps, the thing you will hear over and over again is game management. You'll hear many stories of guys who could barely call their way out of a wet paper bag but could manage a game with the best of them. Being able to deal with coaches and players will, IMO, get you to the next level faster than someone that's textbook with mechanics. In the end, it's all important but ultimately an assignor's responsible to the coaches of that league. If the assignor's getting calls about you each time you work because you can't deal with the coaches and players, chances are you won't be working that conference for long.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: March Madness

What camp are you going to for Dave Hall? Let me know, maybe we can meet up or something.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 12:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
Having been to one of Hall's camps, the thing you will hear over and over again is game management. You'll hear many stories of guys who could barely call their way out of a wet paper bag but could manage a game with the best of them. Being able to deal with coaches and players will, IMO, get you to the next level faster than someone that's textbook with mechanics. In the end, it's all important but ultimately an assignor's responsible to the coaches of that league. If the assignor's getting calls about you each time you work because you can't deal with the coaches and players, chances are you won't be working that conference for long.
I agree 100% that this is very important. Nowdays it is the most important thing. But since it is being preached and talked about to everyone what will set someone else apart?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Dave Hall Basketball Officiating Camp

The camp is at Utah State University June 17-19
Thankyou for all the comments and I will work on all of those advice.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a different take. Go there to learn, don't go to get hired. If you are good, they will find you. I've seen many officials go to camps with the idea to get hired. Sometimes it shows.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Here is a different take. Go there to learn, don't go to get hired. If you are good, they will find you. I've seen many officials go to camps with the idea to get hired. Sometimes it shows.
You definitely won't get hired from Hall's camp. Dave will be the first to tell you that as well. I feel like that makes the camp a lot better because official's aren't out to prove anything and are more willing to help you out. I think you'll enjoy Hall's camp immensely. Hopefully the big screen in the dining hall won't be stuck on the NASA channel like it was last year...
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
One more thing...
#10 Leave the camp guru alone.

My two sense!
Old Sun Mar 07, 2004, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This is going to sound a little facetious, but I mean it seriously. If you go to learn, and let the leaders know that's what you're there for, the best thing you can do is to learn. And the way you show them that is to improve over the week, and then improve like crazy over the next year, and really wow them next year. Take lots of notes about how they want things done, and next year be sure you do things that way. I think that's probably the best way to make an impression, and have it be meaningful.