View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was pretty miffed at this sitch tonite. (Opener of a Frosh/Varsity DH).Subbing going on ,I guess partner in a hurry, inbounds on baseline going other way. Crowd gives that terrible feeling buzz, so I start counting players.Count five Blue members during fast break (blue possession), blue lay-in. Start counting White members, CRAP! they got six.I blow whistle, issue T. Shoot throws, ball inbounded, last second shot, no good, halftime. After half White coach asks if he loses box. I say no. While I'm inbounding to start second half,partner informs standing White coach he must sit due to loss of box. Being a pretty good egg, he hollers to me, "Now he says I have to sit!" Partner is a 30 yr. official, but flies by seat of pants sometimes.No more is said, I have had philosophical and other problems with this ref in the past, so I didn't want to push it.I question him on it after the game. He says "Any T on the bench is a loss of coaching box".I told him the player was not bench personnel, and he countered by saying the coach gets the indirect because he is "in charge of his players" and bears responsibility.We look it up, and I still don't think he was satisfied after learning that he keeps the box. Oh, well. Should I have tried to push my side during the game? It's one of these things that you are pretty darn sure you are right, but don't want to make a stink.