The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 05:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
[/B]
I'm with you in regards to getting input... I love the feedback. When the JV officials stick around for my V game, I always ask them to find something I need to improve on and have them come in at halftime.

[/B]
I don't think it's a very good idea to ask anybody to critique you at halftime of a game. Right after the game- maybe. Well after the game over a brownpop- definitely. Halftime is for relaxing, going over first half problems, maybe critiquing or beng critiqued by your partners, getting ready for the second half,etc.- but you don't need any other distractions at that time. And neither do your partners. There's a time and a place for input from other parties, and halftime ain't it, imo.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. No "guests" at halftime (although this has happened to me). Actually, even right after a game is not a good time to listen and absorb feedback. The refs may be emotionally and/or physically drained, possibly psyched up or feeling down. A written (or verbal) evaluation a short time later could be more useful. I'm not sold on this "opinion by committee" method where a group of "peers" bombard the locker room to offer feedback. It probably isn't necessary anyway. Any one who has officiated four years or more, and is qualified to ref a varsity game will already KNOW he had a dismal game (or a great game). If he has no clue either way, he probably shouldn't be doing varsity level games.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 07:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Halftime is for relaxing, going over first half problems, maybe critiquing or beng critiqued by your partners, getting ready for the second half,etc.- but you don't need any other distractions at that time.
Women's game Saturday, ...had a partner that needed some guidance. I minute after we entered the half-time room, in comes a Men's ref and two home players, and they stay the distance.
We didn't get it done.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Jurassic and Mick on acknowleging the TO request (not granting it yet, but acknowledging it). It drives me crazy when I am going to report a foul and I am flagged down by a coach wanting a TO. It takes concentration to still remember the number of the foul and the shooter, etc. A nod or an 'I gotcha coach' is the best I can do.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good Points

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I agree. No "guests" at halftime (although this has happened to me). Actually, even right after a game is not a good time to listen and absorb feedback. The refs may be emotionally and/or physically drained, possibly psyched up or feeling down. A written (or verbal) evaluation a short time later could be more useful. I'm not sold on this "opinion by committee" method where a group of "peers" bombard the locker room to offer feedback. It probably isn't necessary anyway. Any one who has officiated four years or more, and is qualified to ref a varsity game will already KNOW he had a dismal game (or a great game). If he has no clue either way, he probably shouldn't be doing varsity level games.
Footlocker (and all others):

Just a few observations on your original posting.

(This can be construed as the constructive feedback that you indicated you are seeking.)

First, I believe your intent was to call out officials to offer realistic and helpful observations but think the tone in which you chose to present this unique situation is what opened you to criticism. Making judgmental observations, rather than documenting the actions of the officials on the court encouraged a retaliatory response from other officials (as can be observed in hindsight.)

Secondly, I have serious reservations about the whole activity that you have commented on; having a collection of officials in the bleachers “evaluating” the performance of the game officials within earshot of others is at best peculiar, if not downright unethical. I am further perplexed by the “tradition” of giving an assessment, en masse, to the game officials immediately following the game. As indicated in an earlier post, I would reserve my sincere, candid criticism for a much more private setting.

Lastly, I have noticed an increase of “short-fused” and less than productive dialog on a number of threads lately. It is frustratingly sad that a more cooperative and constructive atmosphere isn’t fostered. I believe we all can do better in this area.

My two senses worth.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

One Whistle-

well put. thanks for adding.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

I don't think it's a very good idea to ask anybody to critique you at halftime of a game. Right after the game- maybe. Well after the game over a brownpop- definitely. Halftime is for relaxing, going over first half problems, maybe critiquing or beng critiqued by your partners, getting ready for the second half,etc.- but you don't need any other distractions at that time. And neither do your partners. There's a time and a place for input from other parties, and halftime ain't it, imo.
[/QUOTE]

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If an official who is watching the game comes in at halftime, I always welcome them. If they have something that can help us in the second half, that's all the better. I don't consider it a distraction - I consider it one more official's view of how the game is going. We're all better refs from the bleachers than we are on the floor. I like to get input from that vantage point too.

Z
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 09:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

As for halftime, I like it to be myself and my partner only, so we can talk over the first half. However, if my mentor or my partner's mentor is present and decides to join us, they're always welcome. Anyone else will have to wait till after the game.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

As far as half time goes, I always welcome other officials. I agree with Zebra here. Another vantage point can be good for the game in the second half. Generally, refs will ask if they can join in at the half or I'll invite.

I'm not easily rattled. I don't think anyone is going to throw me off my game. Usually other officials will let my partner and I chat, then add something.

If it is someone that I wouldn't invite in at halfitme, I don't want to see them after the game either.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

DII GLIAC officials are *dressed down* if they interrupt a half-time meeting involving other GLIAC officials.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I don't allow the half-time meeting with my partner(s) to be interrupted. When we are done with our first-half recap and adjustments, I invite input from the other officials who we have welcomed into the locker room with us. Win-win.

Z