Thread: Sugar Coating
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good Points

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I agree. No "guests" at halftime (although this has happened to me). Actually, even right after a game is not a good time to listen and absorb feedback. The refs may be emotionally and/or physically drained, possibly psyched up or feeling down. A written (or verbal) evaluation a short time later could be more useful. I'm not sold on this "opinion by committee" method where a group of "peers" bombard the locker room to offer feedback. It probably isn't necessary anyway. Any one who has officiated four years or more, and is qualified to ref a varsity game will already KNOW he had a dismal game (or a great game). If he has no clue either way, he probably shouldn't be doing varsity level games.
Footlocker (and all others):

Just a few observations on your original posting.

(This can be construed as the constructive feedback that you indicated you are seeking.)

First, I believe your intent was to call out officials to offer realistic and helpful observations but think the tone in which you chose to present this unique situation is what opened you to criticism. Making judgmental observations, rather than documenting the actions of the officials on the court encouraged a retaliatory response from other officials (as can be observed in hindsight.)

Secondly, I have serious reservations about the whole activity that you have commented on; having a collection of officials in the bleachers “evaluating” the performance of the game officials within earshot of others is at best peculiar, if not downright unethical. I am further perplexed by the “tradition” of giving an assessment, en masse, to the game officials immediately following the game. As indicated in an earlier post, I would reserve my sincere, candid criticism for a much more private setting.

Lastly, I have noticed an increase of “short-fused” and less than productive dialog on a number of threads lately. It is frustratingly sad that a more cooperative and constructive atmosphere isn’t fostered. I believe we all can do better in this area.

My two senses worth.