The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Please hold back the "doggy style" references!

Yes, it happened....not in my game!

Rec Ball so NF if you please...

A2 intentionally goes to all fours in the lane out ahead of a fast break in front A1 who has the ball and B1 guarding him. I suppose not seeing A2, B1 falls over him and the offensive player goes around for an easy layup.

I am sure we would all call this illegal / borderline unsportsman.

NF sez:....RULE 10 SECTION 6 CONTACT
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not: hold, push, charge, trip; nor impede the progress of an opponent by extending an arm, shoulder, hip or knee, or by bending the body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics.

Anyone see a specific reference that could be a better rule that covers this?

Larks

[Edited by Larks on Feb 23rd, 2004 at 02:56 PM]
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 03:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
Larks
Yes. NF 11.1 - "No player or animal on the court shall be on all fours except in donkey basketball games."
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Followup....whats your penalty here?

Book sez: PENALTY: Personal Foul (Section 6) Offender is charged with one foul, and if it is his/her fifth foul (personal and technical) or if it is flagrant, he/she is disqualified.

I know you gotta see it. This smells kinda flagrant.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I've now been told that the official passed on the call (DOH) despite the fact that he observed them "practicing" this play in pregame warmups.

Their question to me was "should we have stuck the coach" as well. I dont see where a personal foul of this nature also brings a penalty on the coach.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 04:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Ok, I've now been told that the official passed on the call (DOH) despite the fact that he observed them "practicing" this play in pregame warmups.

Their question to me was "should we have stuck the coach" as well. I dont see where a personal foul of this nature also brings a penalty on the coach.

Thoughts?
I can't see sticking the coach. I see a few options. (1) PF for an illegal screen. Player only has that part of the vertical plane that is directly above his/her feet. (2)Intentional foul. (3) Unsportsmanlike T (4) 3 seconds; I might be inclined to call this if there was no contact (ie, B1 sees the "screen" and stops or goes around or leaps over it). If coach complains, I'd inform him he's lucky I didn't T his player.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A2 intentionally goes to all fours in the lane out ahead of a fast break in front A1 who has the ball and B1 guarding him. I suppose not seeing A2, B1 falls over him and the offensive player goes around for an easy layup.
I'd call it "intentional tripping."

Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 11:45pm
Administrator

Quote:
Please hold back the "doggy style" references!

Yes, it happened....not in my game!

Rec Ball so NF if you please...

I am sure we would all call this illegal / borderline unsportsman.

NF sez:....RULE 10 SECTION 6 CONTACT
ART. 1 . . . A player shall not: hold, push, charge, trip; nor impede the progress of an opponent by extending an arm, shoulder, hip or knee, or by bending the body into other than a normal position; nor use any rough tactics.

Larks

From the NFHS 2003-04 Rules R4-S39:
A1: A screen is legal action by a player who, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
A2: To establish a legal screening position:
a. The screener may face any direction.
b. Time and distance are relevant.
c. The screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and same direction.
A3: When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side, the screener may be anywhere short of contact.
A4: When screening a stationary opponent from behind, the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.
A5: When screening moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact. The distance not need to be more than two strides.
A6: When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener is moving, the opponent is responsible for contact if the screener slows up or stops.

A player is entitled to any spot on the floor, provided he gets to that spot according to the rules. As long as A2 did not violate any provision of R4-S39, then I believe that he is not guilty of a blocking foul.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
A1: A screen is legal action by a player who, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.
c. The screener must be stationary, except when both are moving in the same path and same direction.
A3: When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side, the screener may be anywhere short of contact.
A4: When screening a stationary opponent from behind, the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.
A5: When screening moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact. The distance not need to be more than two strides.
A6: When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener is moving, the opponent is responsible for contact if the screener slows up or stops.

A player is entitled to any spot on the floor, provided he gets to that spot according to the rules. As long as A2 did not violate any provision of R4-S39, then I believe that he is not guilty of a blocking foul.
How about R4 Sec 23 Art 2:
... to obtain legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have BOTH FEET touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard's torso MUST BE FACING the opponent.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 02:06am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

MTD, your wrong. This play is wrong. The coach and the players involved are wrong. This is not basketball and for MTD to allow the play and justify by the rules is flat wrong. (Sorry I'm coming on so harsh here.)

Your dangerously close to being labeled a "book referee." (unless you have been labeled this already) This play is unfair, unethical and dishonorable conduct. However, I know that is a definition of a non-contact unsporting foul. So, I could call the kids for simlpy trying it- after all the ref saw them practicing the play. (BTW-preventative maintenance- got to tell them if they try this it will be penalized, then no situation)

If you only reflect the book and no common sense then you have a problem as an official. If the screen was a good idea then why not stay standing? Reason, there was intent to harm and embarrass. This equates to taunting. "T".

You have to call this.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle

While I do agree with you in principal on this play, a player that is screening is NOT guarding. They are two different actions. Guarding, as defined, is done only by defensive players. A screener is NEVER required to be facing the opponent.

I do believe the intent of screening is that the screener be standing. We call it a block anytime an opponent runs into a screener's extended hip, arm, leg. So, a player on all fours is not in a valid screening position. When the opponenent hits them, I've got a block.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
MTD, your wrong. Your dangerously close to being labeled a "book referee." (unless you have been labeled this already)
Gee, do you think?

Z
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:20pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

One-Whistle:

The play in this thread is about screening not guarding. Therefore, R4-S23-A2 does not apply, in fact all of R4-S23 does not apply to this play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Larks
Yes. NF 11.1 - "No player or animal on the court shall be on all fours except in donkey basketball games."
Which is the same as rec ball
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 04:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Sure looks like an illegal screen to me!

Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Not only is this behavior "unbasketball-like" in it's nature, but from the description sounds like it is possible to cut a players legs out from under him and injure him. I would be inclinded to issue an immediate T for this behavior based on the potential danger. Call it unsportsmanlike behavior. Would I be over-reacting?

Also, if it were observed in practice, a word to the coach would have been appropriate, IMO.