The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

One philosophy that exists is to call it consistently all game. Last night, I watched a HS playoff game where the first bang-bang call was a block. Next close call was a block again. You could have argued that both calls were charges but they were consistent. There was one call later that I disagreed with because the offensive player pushed the defender with his off-arm before the crash. Still the call was a block. The officials did an excellent job overall.

I will agree that there are too many times where we officials take the easy way out with a block when the defender has done nothing wrong. You make the "right" call only to hear a chorus of comments like: "He wasn't set" "He didn't have both feet on the floor".
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

The INITIAL legal guarding position requires to be facing the torso of the player with the ball. Go from there to determine the contact, if the defender got to the spot in time, before the offensive player left the floor, etc.

IMO, the offense gets away with murder in most sports.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
One philosophy that exists is to call it consistently all game. Last night, I watched a HS playoff game where the first bang-bang call was a block. Next close call was a block again. You could have argued that both calls were charges but they were consistent. There was one call later that I disagreed with because the offensive player pushed the defender with his off-arm before the crash. Still the call was a block. The officials did an excellent job overall.

I will agree that there are too many times where we officials take the easy way out with a block when the defender has done nothing wrong. You make the "right" call only to hear a chorus of comments like: "He wasn't set" "He didn't have both feet on the floor".
I've always follwed the philosophy that, if it was how you said,"You could have argued that both were charges," if it can go either way early in the game it is a charge.

I want the players to keep playing good defense,if you consistently call everything a block the kids will stop playing with their feet and start slapping at the ball.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
BLarge

Another thing that can happen if you call the first few blocks, when they could have concievably been called charge, is that you will give the offenses the green light to go in the lane everytime with reckless abandoment. It will surely get someone hurt and some PO'ed parents!

But of course the main thing to do is be consistent. I used to cop out of Blarges and call blocks, only because I didn't quite have my entire Block/charge philosophy down yet. A good referee magazine article about 3 months back helped clear up some of my confusions.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 01:55pm
In Memoriam

i got an idea. Might be a l'il bit radical, though. Try making up your mind on each call whether it's a block or a charge, based solely on what happened in that particular call.

Don't anticipate! Don't prejudge! Don't think too damn much! Just call the game.

Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 06:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R

What the heck does consistency have to do with two separate calls? Why don't you call each one on its own merits?

If it could have gone either way, then they should've called both charges, IMO.

Rich
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, consistency is important, but not at the expense of making the correct call.

I don't know what the big deal is. Block/charge is not a tough call to make, IMO. I repeat my earlier keys:

Does the defender have LGP?
Who initiated the contact?
Are you reffing the defense?

Rich put it well...don't anticipate one way or the other, each play on its own merits.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: BLARGE Philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
I realize that not all of you will agree on this, but ig the contact is torso to torso, I am going to call the player control foul, unless the shooter is already airborne and the defense slides under.
Not always the best call. Does defender have LGP? Who initiated the contact? Are you reffing the defense?

Not likely saying anything you don't already know, but these are important things to remember. I think it's more accurate to say that torso-to-torso contact is ALMOST always a PC foul. But not always. It's important not to reward sloppy defense.

Like I always say...
I agree especially where the defender is still moving forward but generally if movement is sideways contact on torso means defender on spot first and therefore offensive foul.

If you referee the defense and discuss this in pregame there should always be a correct call. It is where you are caught by surprise that you get it wrong
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
i got an idea. Might be a l'il bit radical, though. Try making up your mind on each call whether it's a block or a charge, based solely on what happened in that particular call.

Don't anticipate! Don't prejudge! Don't think too damn much! Just call the game.

Halle-friggin-lujah. Enough said.