The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Watched the Cal-UCLA game earlier today and noticed that the Cal players are wearing a small, square black patch on the upper right of their jerseys. It has "AL" with the number "31" below the letters on it.

I know that under NFHS rules the presence of the number on the patch is illegal and results in a T on each player when they enter the game. However, I looked up the NCAA rule and it does not prohibit numbers on the memorial patch.

Anyone know why the difference?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

The NCAA has a more realistic approach?

Just like the sea of flags after 9/11, who is going to T a group of players for having the number of a dead teammate on their jerseys?

(Boy, do I need to proofread.)

[Edited by RecRef on Feb 20th, 2004 at 09:17 AM]
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 09:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Watched the Cal-UCLA game earlier today and noticed that the Cal players are wearing a small, square black patch on the upper right of their jerseys. It has "AL" with the number "31" below the letters on it.

I know that under NFHS rules the presence of the number on the patch is illegal and results in a T on each player when they enter the game. However, I looked up the NCAA rule and it does not prohibit numbers on the memorial patch.

Anyone know why the difference?
I wouldn't call something like this under ANY circumstances. What an incredible lack of common sense by the NFHS.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Good luck calling that one.

Rule 11, boys. Rule 11.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, i believe that calling this would be an insult to the person being remebered.

I would never call this.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

WIAA (Wisconsin) Ruling

Unfortunately, our state association gave a letter of reprimand to a pair of officials who "did the right thing" in allowing a team to wear a black patch in honor of a deceased teammate.

Sadly, the player killed himself while driving drunk on New Year's Eve.

P.S. These two officials had worked state tournament games in the previous two years. This year they did not get any games beyond the first round of the play-offs.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: WIAA (Wisconsin) Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
Unfortunately, our state association gave a letter of reprimand to a pair of officials who "did the right thing" in allowing a team to wear a black patch in honor of a deceased teammate.

Sadly, the player killed himself while driving drunk on New Year's Eve.

P.S. These two officials had worked state tournament games in the previous two years. This year they did not get any games beyond the first round of the play-offs.
Seems like a fair trade to me. Hope they filed that letter in an appropriate place.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

The "discipline" was doled out under the previous "regime." (Ms. Kuehn)

Not sure if the current "leadership" (Ms. Hauser) would handle it differently.. apparently not much, since they have opted to drastically reduce this crew's play-off offerings.

Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 08:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by One-Whistle
The "discipline" was doled out under the previous "regime." (Ms. Kuehn)

Not sure if the current "leadership" (Ms. Hauser) would handle it differently.. apparently not much, since they have opted to drastically reduce this crew's play-off offerings.

She has also brought some newer officials into the playoff mix instead of relying on the meaningless "MASTER" rating to determine all the assignments.

Say what you want about the system, it is great to see some of the dinosaurs rightfully given fewer games and some of the younger officials who have the ability given games.

Maybe these assignments have nothing at all to do with that letter.

Read here:

http://swoa.info/wiaa/newsletters/wi...=January302004