The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

This did happen, I just wish it happened in my game. No two/three officials have unanimously agreed.

NCAA game.
Play: On a fastbreak, player A1 is in the lane and has started to elevate. Player B1 hits A1, TWEET, the ball comes loose as a result. A1 regains possession of the ball while still going up, shoots and buries the shot.

Ruling ?

Please cite the specific rules, casebook, or where ever your ruling comes from.

What was the ruling on the floor? I spoke with the calling official. I will divulge this later....
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Since he elevated, I would say the usual routine has started, he is in the act of shooting. Wow, when he loses control of the ball I would guess that the try is then in play, when he touches it again, it is obvious that the try won't count, the ball is dead and we shoot two....In the heat of the moment I don't know if I could think that fast... It would be a pretty natural reaction for me to count the hoop...Oh and A1 gets an A for effort LOL...
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 07:30pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
[B
Play: On a fastbreak, player A1 is in the lane and has started to elevate. Player B1 hits A1, TWEET, the ball comes loose as a result. A1 regains possession of the ball while still going up, shoots and buries the shot.

[/B]
The shot ended when the ball came loose right after the contactby B1- because that shot didn't have a chance to go in. A1 regained possession of a dead ball. Play's over. Second shot doesn't count because it isn't a try. A1 gets 2 FT's.

Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

If A1 bobbles the ball a little but he is able to push through the foul in the same continuous motion, basket counts. If A1 has the reaquire the ball, the try is over.

Was it one motion or two seperate motions?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

ruling on the floor....

The ruling on the floor.

A great athletic play. Counted the basket and shot 1.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Interesting!! I want to know more. Did you know the officials to know if there was any flack about the call? Did either coach have an opinion? What was the fan reaction? Tell all!!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

reaction

In talking with 2 of the 3 officials that worked the game, there was very little dissention. The offended coach bought in on 'continuation.' Even more interesting it was a matchup of #1 & #2 in conference. It was a game that was decided by 3 points.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

As you said, different opinions. As you described I have to say NO basket. the try ended. I would like to have seen the play.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

When I first saw your post, I thought it was about a play in the Cal-Stanford game last Saturday. But Stanford ended up winning that game easily.

The play: Player got the ball near the basket on a semi-fast break, turned to shoot, defensive player tries for block, whistle blown, ball comes loose, offensive player still in the air manages to get a hand on the ball and tip it in.

In that game, it was called as foul, count the basket, shoot one. No complaints, as I recall.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 10:56am
Esteemed Participant

Re: reaction

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
In talking with 2 of the 3 officials that worked the game, there was very little dissention. The offended coach bought in on 'continuation.' Even more interesting it was a matchup of #1 & #2 in conference. It was a game that was decided by 3 points.
Hey icall - were you there, or just talk with them? I had the women's game before this and watched the play...took me by surprise! The L who called the foul got those dear-in-the-headlight-eyes, and the T (I think Mr. Rose was T - or maybe C) ran in and told him to count it...neither coach really said much of anything...it was interesting to hear the fans discussing it...my take was it shouldn't have counted, but it happened so fast that you can't really argue with the way they called it...
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

rockyroad

Hey icall - were you there, or just talk with them?

No, I wasn't there, but spoke to them within a couple of days of the play.

the play...took me by surprise! The L who called the foul got those dear-in-the-headlight-eyes, and the T (I think Mr. Rose was T - or maybe C) ran in and told him to count it...neither coach really said much of anything...it was interesting to hear the fans discussing it...my take was it shouldn't have counted, but it happened so fast that you can't really argue with the way they called it...

I agree on both counts. The basket should not have counted, but I have no real problem with the way it was called.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going out on a limb here - If the ball came loose as a result of the contact not because the player completed the throwing or pushing motion, the player did not complete the throw and there wasn't a throw to be unsuccessful, thus making the try dead (along with the whistle). To then re-acquire the ball and complete the throwing motion seems legitimate. Count the basket.
I admit it might not be a simple call whether the shooter completed pushing or throwing the ball verses the ball coming loose prior to completion.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Sam
If you do not have the ball, you cannot have a try. So losing it after starting a try may not constitute an actual try, but any sense that this particular commencement of a try is continuing must end. so no matter how you slice it, if you have to reacquire the ball, you have to start a new try. If you do this after the foul, it is a try that commenced after the foul. I can't see anything in the rules that says you can be in the normal try motion without the ball.

Now if the motion is continuous rather than a clear reacquisition, you may have some doubt as to whether the try ended when the ball came loose. But that is not what it sounds like occurred here.

On the other hand, my heart says great play. And if you waved off the bucket, Dickie V would say "AAAAh, you gotta be kidding me, that's a terrible call. You can't punish great offense!"

Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach,
Once the try begins, you have a try even if the player looses the ball because of a foul. The try ends when the throw is sucessful, it is certain that the throw is unsuccessful, the ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead. If the ball was dislodged before the throw could be completed, note I am talking about the throw, I don't see the try as having ended.

I don't see that this says the try has ended because the ball is dislodged as opposed to thrown.

My visual is a player bring the ball up to shoot a short jumper, defense knocks the ball loose with a foul, while player and ball are still in the air player reacquires ball and shoots. The ball was not released or thrown for the try but the player was obviously in the act of a try.

Old Sat Feb 21, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Hawks Coach,
Once the try begins, you have a try even if the player looses the ball because of a foul. The try ends when the throw is sucessful, it is certain that the throw is unsuccessful, the ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead.

My visual is a player bring the ball up to shoot a short jumper, defense knocks the ball loose with a foul, while player and ball are still in the air player reacquires ball and shoots. The ball was not released or thrown for the try but the player was obviously in the act of a try.
Be careful about using words like obvious. To many here, all of us familiar with the rules, this is not at all obvious.

Rule 4
SECTION 11 CONTINUOUS MOTION
ART. 2 . . . If an opponent fouls after a player has started a try for goal, he/she is permitted to complete the customary arm movement, and if pivoting or stepping when fouled, may complete the usual foot or body movement in any activity while holding the ball.

Retrieving a ball that has come loose is not a customary arm movement in a shot. I think the try has ended when you lose the ball even if it is not in flight on a try. You are now starting a second try if you retrieve the ball.

Releasing a shot is not the only way that continuous motion can end. It clearly ends on a held ball or violation (you obviously can't return to the floor without releasing the ball on a foul and get continuous motion), and many of us strongly believe it ends when you lose control of the ball. The entire contuous motion rule implies that you retain player control of the ball. The only exception is a tap, and the foul has to come after the player has contacted the ball, not before.