The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
True, if long, sitch from very recent game:

I'm L, ball's in T's area. A1 passes into my area but it misses everything (so I thought) & goes OOB. As I point down court my partner comes to me and tells me about the tip...OK...since I was watching my own particular 5 sq ft of the court like a hawk I missed it. I nod, give the little tip signal (ACK!!!! unauthorized mechanic!!!) tweet & point the other way. Now because of a recent thread here I'm wondering "why the hell was he ball watching? who was watching HIS primary while he was watching the ball? who would have seen the elbow the passer gave the defender because he was not minding his own damn business???!!!" And apparently half the crowd agrees - "HEY REF!!! THAT AINT HIS CALL, IT'S YOUR CALL!!!! YOU CAN'T LET HIM TAKE THAT CALL FROM YOU!!!! YOU GOTTA STAY WITH YOUR OWN CALL!!!!!" Now because my partner could not mind his own business and stay in his primary I am getting chewed out by a bunch of fans, fans who apparently agree with some who post here. And at the very next dead ball I went to my partner & told him exactly what I thought of his sticking HIS nose into MY area about a call I made on MY line -

"Thanks pard, we looked good, we got it right and you saved my @ss. I owe ya one."
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:53am
Huck Finn

OK, I'll bite. Are you trying to be funny? I'm one of "those people" and the topic had to do with ball watching/calling fouls in someone's primary right in front of them. It was not about a situation like you mention. I will give you an example.
I had a game last night on a military installation so it was men playing. A player passes almost the length of the court and gets hit on his arm. I follow the ball down the court and watch the two on one. He asks about getting fouled on the pass. We have a time out the next play and I explain to him that I'm not going to call that foul as long as the ball gets to where he intended for it to go. In this case it was a two on one break on the other end which led to a score for his team. This can only be done in some instances but the point is I had to see where the ball was going.
If I'm watching my primary and someone passes out of it and you are watching your primary and the ball is thrown out of bounds, who will know how it got out if neither of us follows the ball until it settles? Or, how many of us have seen the ball go out of bounds using our peripheral vision? I know what you're getting at and it isn't the same.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

huh?

Ball was passed from T. Why wouldn't he see the tip? Where did he say it was tipped? from the pass or at the catch?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 10:54am
Huck Finn

Wink

Footlocker, can you get me a discount?
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
huh?

Ball was passed from T. Why wouldn't he see the tip? Where did he say it was tipped? from the pass or at the catch?
Turns out the ball was tipped in my area much nearer the catch than the pass.

He would not have seen the tip if he stayed with the passer and stayed in his primary.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
OK, I'm one of "those people"
Yes you are, although I didn't have you in mind when this play happened or as I was posting it.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

And apparently half the crowd agrees - "HEY REF!!! THAT AINT HIS CALL, IT'S YOUR CALL!!!! YOU CAN'T LET HIM TAKE THAT CALL FROM YOU!!!! YOU GOTTA STAY WITH YOUR OWN CALL!!!!!"

I was wondering if anyone yelled out "Great call. You guys deserve credit for getting the call right, way to go!!!"

................they never do..........................

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

When the ball is in transition from one area to another, it is important that the official in the originating area not give it up until the official in the destination area has picked it up. Often, there will be a brief overlap on the "handoff". I give my partners a moment to shift their focus to the ball before I give it up. Why? I've been bitten a couple of times by giving it up when it crossed the "line" only to have a train wreck occur an not have either of us know who was at fault.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

It's better to get it right than wrong. I'd say the "T' helped you out and you made the right call.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Why are you more worried about where his eyes were than if the call was right?

Forget the fans. They’re going to yell because they thought they got away with one. Then it was fixed.

How do you know he didn't catch the tip with his peripheral? All I know is, foremost I want to get the call right. And you did. The better question might be more objective and less ego oriented: What is a good way to cover the pass from T to L.

I have always heard that the Lead takes the pass and the Trail stays with the pass/crash.

(not trying to pick on anyone, but let’s get the call right and figure out a way mechanically to have better coverage next time.)
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Footlocker,

Great response, could not agree with you more. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned "ego"

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 05:32pm
Esteemed Participant

Footlocker, lighten up... a month-and-a-half, over 100 posts, and you still haven't figured out Dan's sense of humor??? Come on...he wasn't that upset about it, and he knows the partner helped them get it right...he's venting and having some fun doing it...try to remember, Dan's a Yankees fan - that will explain a lot...
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

It seems many times the crew forgets they are a "team" and should quit worring about the call as long as they get it right.

Six eyes are better than two!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 06:08pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
try to remember, Dan's a Yankees fan - that will explain a lot...

Yeah,so don't question Dan!!

Being a Yankees' fan means never having to say you're wrong.

Btw, Rocky is a Mariners' fan. Which means that he's basically the same as Chuck, only maybe just a teeny-weeny bit smarter.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Footlocker, lighten up... a month-and-a-half, over 100 posts, and you still haven't figured out Dan's sense of humor??? Come on...he wasn't that upset about it, and he knows the partner helped them get it right...he's venting and having some fun doing it...try to remember, Dan's a Yankees fan - that will explain a lot...
C'mon man, you ain't helping! Now mind your own business!

BTW, check this out: