The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

What's the best treatment you have been given for shin splints? I don't have actual splints. Just stress syndrome. I have rested my legs for months and when the season started, the explosive force of taking off and running is a terrible pain.
Anyone have this problem?
Eddie
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Shin Splints

The best remedy I have found is to stretch achilles tendons by leaning against wall with knees locked and feet sread about 1.5 ft. Feet should be around 2 ft from wall depending on your height with head resting on your hands which are flat on the wall.Your body should be straight and form a leaning angle of about 30 degrees. Hold this position for a time until you feel a relaxation of the achilles tendons. I usually hold it for a minute or so after I have warmed up my muscles genlty from light jogging or walking. This was passed on to me by a trainer years ago and it has worked for me. Good luck!!!
YIBB
Pistol
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to Peter's advice, I find that I need to stretch and strenghten the front of the leg as well.

The gym has a "tibialis" (?) bar that hangs on your feet. Sit on a bench with just your feet hanging over the edge. Put the bar (with wieghts) on your feet and alternately point and pull your feet.

Also, try kneeling, with your feet pointing back. Then, gently sit on your heels. DO THIS WITH CAUTION THE FIRST FEW TIMES -- maybe just the kneeling is enough to stretch the front of the legs.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mine were all equipment. I changed shoes and bought new insoles, and I have had no problems. I also ice down after every game. This is almost as, if not more important than stretching.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Support socks. I wear two pairs at a time. They're like compression shorts for the shins. You can pick them up at a CVS Drugstore.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 05:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking lose weight.

One of the biggest causes of them is the fact that many officials are not in good overall physical condition. Maybe losing a little weight could help or at least get your legs in good condition. I have never had this problem and one of the reasons is that I work out on a regular basis. Not doing that could be the ultimate cause of this problem for many. These kids are fast and in shape (at least most of them) and not doing the same yourself can be the heart of this problem. But I guess beer is the off season drink of choice for most officials?
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
J you hit the nail on the head. Get in shape. 90% of shin splints come from athletes in their first couple months of training going too hard, too fast. As an official if you can strengthen your lower legs during the offseason then you won't have this problem in December. I am as guilty as anyone on this area. When I am in shape, I have no problems in this area.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
J you hit the nail on the head. Get in shape. 90% of shin splints come from athletes in their first couple months of training going too hard, too fast. As an official if you can strengthen your lower legs during the offseason then you won't have this problem in December. I am as guilty as anyone on this area. When I am in shape, I have no problems in this area.
The one time I had shin splints was not because I was out
of shape. I believe runners, distance & sprinters, are prone to shin splints as well.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
of shape. I believe runners, distance & sprinters, are prone to shin splints as well.
This is what my physical trainer told me.

She said sprinters in particular are prone to them because the calf muscles become stronger than the shin muscles and the pull is not balanced -- or something like that.

What I did that solved the problem was to add this to my morning run: at the end, while I'm cooling down, I walk ten steps on my toes, ten on heels, ten on toes, ten on heels and so forth. I do the last thirty or forty steps with a slow roll from heel, onto ball, up to toes. This has also greatly strenthened my feet, giving me a more graceful, athletic stride when I sprint. I really NEEDED that!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I do not disagree with that.

But still you have had to get into shape to correct the problem. Now it might not have been overall shape, but it was to get in shape to fit the activity. You know, like football shape compared to basketball shape or basketball shape compared to baseball shape. I am sure there are many reasons people get them, but I do know most of them are not in any kind of shape. I might not be in the greatest shape, but I have never had this problem. And usually you do not hear of this as a problem with good athletes.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
This is what my physical trainer told me.

She said sprinters in particular are prone to them because the calf muscles become stronger than the shin muscles and the pull is not balanced -- or something like that.

What I did that solved the problem was to add this to my morning run: at the end, while I'm cooling down, I walk ten steps on my toes, ten on heels, ten on toes, ten on heels and so forth. I do the last thirty or forty steps with a slow roll from heel, onto ball, up to toes. This has also greatly strenthened my feet, giving me a more graceful, athletic stride when I sprint. I really NEEDED that!