Thread: Shin Splints
View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 13, 2000, 02:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I do not disagree with that.

But still you have had to get into shape to correct the problem. Now it might not have been overall shape, but it was to get in shape to fit the activity. You know, like football shape compared to basketball shape or basketball shape compared to baseball shape. I am sure there are many reasons people get them, but I do know most of them are not in any kind of shape. I might not be in the greatest shape, but I have never had this problem. And usually you do not hear of this as a problem with good athletes.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
The one time I had shin splints was not because I was out
of shape. I believe runners, distance & sprinters, are prone to shin splints as well.
This is what my physical trainer told me.

She said sprinters in particular are prone to them because the calf muscles become stronger than the shin muscles and the pull is not balanced -- or something like that.

What I did that solved the problem was to add this to my morning run: at the end, while I'm cooling down, I walk ten steps on my toes, ten on heels, ten on toes, ten on heels and so forth. I do the last thirty or forty steps with a slow roll from heel, onto ball, up to toes. This has also greatly strenthened my feet, giving me a more graceful, athletic stride when I sprint. I really NEEDED that!