The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I need some advice. Last night I worked a HS JV Boys game that was REALLY a good contest. Both teams up and down the court with lots of scoring. My problem was that when the offense did slow it down to a half court game my Partner insisted on watching my area and there were times (about 5) when we would have double whistles outside of the lane area. It was more noticable when my Partner was the lead and he would make a call across the lane below the free throw line, right in front of me. It's not like the calls weren't fouls but I had made the call as well and it occurred in my area. I know that he wasn't watching his area much if he's watching mine. My problem is how do you talk to a guy about making calls out of his Primary? I have worked with him on a previous game and, thinking back, we had some double whistles in that game as well. We both work higher level games too although he has at least a dozen more Varsity games than I do. I will welcome your advice/comments.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Let him know that you are working on holding your whistle and seeing the whole play. So, we should both cut down the double whistle scenarios.

Let him know that you saw these teams before and there is a lot of off-ball stuff. "Let's be real active there tonight."

Let him know that he sucks.

But somehow you have to communicate this to him or problems will continue. You have to get your point accross or the problems will only continue for the both of you.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-game, Pre-game, Pre-game!

I have this area, you have this!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

primary coverage

It is agreed that a little more in depth discussion during pregame would be useful. Also, during a time out or other dead ball situation, you could redirect your partner's attention to off ball concerns by saying something along the lines of "its getting pretty physical out here, we need to pick up something off ball in our primary."

Now with that said, the most common rule of thumb at the HS level is, if there is a double whistle, then the official who it is coming to takes the call. Since I was not there I have no real knowledge, but with the change in coverage when ball is strong side and the L is coming over, this is part of the L's primary. Was he in "rotation?"

If it is my game, we cover this in the pregame, and if it is happening during the game, I will address it. Because sure as s***, if 4 eyes are on the ball, someone will hit with a 'bow and neither official knows why some kid is bleeding or has a broken nose.

just my .02 worth
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

One time when this happened, at a break I asked him if he didn't trust me to call my area. He didn't like what I said, but tooo bad, it needed to be said. Now, years back I was working with a good official and I called a foul in front of him in the BC. He took the ball and throw it to me and said "you called it, you administer it" i.e. FT's. I knew he wasn't happy. And I got the point. Try this, every time he blows the whistle, no matter what it is, make him report. oob, fouls, travels, just hold your hand up and say take it. Then after the game ask him how it felt to ref the game by yourself?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

primary coverage

Bart

One time when this happened, at a break I asked him if he didn't trust me to call my area. He didn't like what I said, but tooo bad, it needed to be said. Now, years back I was working with a good official and I called a foul in front of him in the BC. He took the ball and throw it to me and said "you called it, you administer it" i.e. FT's. I knew he wasn't happy. And I got the point. Try this, every time he blows the whistle, no matter what it is, make him report. oob, fouls, travels, just hold your hand up and say take it. Then after the game ask him how it felt to ref the game by yourself.

Good for you, you made a point. Not a very good one though.

The quality of the game is not going to get any better with that type of response. As a crew, we are the only ones who have our backs. I see a**hole referees like you all the time. You think that you are the only one out there and that your partner is trying to make you look bad, when in fact, most of our partners just want to get the game right. Your attitude only puts you and your partner on an island. If you are accountable for your games, you know that this only makes matters worse. If our partner sucks the crew sucks, that is what the coaches, players and fans see and remember.

I would encourage you to re-evaluate how to handle the situation.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Icallfouls:

Don't agree with your boorish manner and tone, but have to agree with your point.

Bart, the court is not the place to bicker, either directly or indirectly, with your partner, no matter what they do. It is unprofessional, and you are doing the players a disservice. Address it in private or at the very least, during a timeout.

We've all been there, it's just a matter of how you choose to deal with it. Are you a "point-maker" or a problem-solver?
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 07:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls

I see a**hole referees like you all the time.

Cool move, Dude. Nothing personal, but I think that I'd take Bart any day of the week over an official that dumps on his fellow officials like you just did.

Just because you disagree with him hardly makes him an a$$hole.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

The above situations all happened in off season games and camps years back when we are trying to learn. Obviously I wouldn't do this now in Varsity HS or college. I think the original post was a JV game. These are the games to learn. Someone has to step up and let the official know.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Could this still be in his primary???

There are a lot of officials that will argue that the leads primary coverage area extends across the lane below the free throw line extended and follows the arc down. So, you partner may have been thinking this was his primary area. You said it was usually when he was at lead and it was outside the lane. If if was inside the arc, it could have been his.

The confusion is the way the mechanics book charts this.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: primary coverage

Quote:
I see a**hole referees like you all the time. [/B]
If YOU see this all the time, maybe YOU need to look at YOUR game.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Quote:
You think that you are the only one out there and that your partner is trying to make you look bad, when in fact, most of our partners just want to get the game right. Your attitude only puts you and your partner on an island. If you are accountable for your games, you know that this only makes matters worse. If our partner sucks the crew sucks, that is what the coaches, players and fans see and remember.

I would encourage you to re-evaluate how to handle the situation. [/B]
Sorry you got it wrong.... about me. Just because I told you of a couple situations doesn't paint a picture of all my games. These were situations under which it was acceptable to do under the conditions. And by the way, I've had a lot worse done to me,under acceptable conditions.

When I post things on this board I assume that you and others would know I use good basic officiating concepts. I can't think of one official on this board that I wouldn't assume they are good officials and I would officiate with any official on this board.

Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 06:44am
Huck Finn

Bart, I don't think bad of you at all and I don't think you would do this as a normal practice. Sometimes extreme circumstances require extreme measures.
During the last couple of days there has been a lot of talk about getting the calls right and very little talk about trusting your partners. I think it is a safe bet to say that what it boils down to is officials watching the ball all over the court. This defeats the purpose of having 2 or 3 sets of eyes on the court. When consistently blowing the whistle in a partner's primary, what is the mindset? Is it "my partner didn't see that foul?" With the athletes getting faster, stronger and dirtier I find it increasingly difficult to do 2-person games and catch all of the off ball action I would like to catch. I cannot watch my partner's area too! I don't think that makes me less of an official at all. I can only take care of my primary. In the past I've done middle school girls by myself and I really felt like I should have apologized because I know I couldn't catch everything. This was a game where I could look over them and the action was slow. How could I look all over the court with bigger kids or men?
It is extreme to call someone an A$$hole on this board but I've been told before that sometimes officials have to be A$$holes.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I think that a personal attack on someone you have never met stating his opinion is wayyyy offff base!! I have disagreed with Bart over the years, but I bet I would like having him as my lead in a rough boys varsity two whistle game. He was stating his opinion on what to do when you have a partner who is obviously stretching to make calls. In a two whistle game, you have to trust your partner to make calls in his primary.
ICALL, limit your comments to your opinions of the board and leave the insults out unless you see them call a game.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: primary coverage

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
the most common rule of thumb at the HS level is, if there is a double whistle, then the official who it is coming to takes the call.
This rule is (or at least, should be) applied in transition only. In a settled frontcourt situation, if there is a double whistle then the official who has primary responsibility for the call should report it.

Suppose: A1 is standing at the 3-point arc on the Trail's side of the court, guarded by B1. A1 starts his drive to the basket, but after one and a half steps is handchecked by B1. Double whistle. You want the Lead to take that when it's just inside the arc in front of the T -- just b/c he was moving toward the L? Nuh-uh.

In a settled offense let the primary official take the call, regardless of where the ball is headed.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Transition or settled, double whistle goes to primary, with two exceptions; 1)the secondary defender; 2) if you have had the last few whistles then you should give it up to you partner. While I still see officials take it when it is out of primary, I'm starting to see less and less every year. I'm guessing but I believe in my games this year I might have it happen about once every couple games where the other official will report.