The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

This is my 2nd year officating. And I can tell you the ego's out there are huge. I would like to know with your experience should the trail help the lead under the basket? or vise/versa?
With all the screens and movement under the basket its sometimes better for the trail to make some call, Since they may have had better position.

I made a call from out top under the basket and my partner came charging at me telling me to stay out of his area. My reply to him was sorry, you missed one.

I get tired of the coaches and fans yelling how can two or three of you miss that call.

when I work with anyone I now ask if they want help in their areas, some say yes some say no. When ref's tell me no I usually swallow my whislte and go on.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
This is my 2nd year officating. And I can tell you the ego's out there are huge. I would like to know with your experience should the trail help the lead under the basket? or vise/versa?
With all the screens and movement under the basket its sometimes better for the trail to make some call, Since they may have had better position.

I made a call from out top under the basket and my partner came charging at me telling me to stay out of his area. My reply to him was sorry, you missed one.

I get tired of the coaches and fans yelling how can two or three of you miss that call.

when I work with anyone I now ask if they want help in their areas, some say yes some say no. When ref's tell me no I usually swallow my whislte and go on.
If you're 100% sure, and the call needs to be made, call it.

I think there's a misconception on "areas". It doesn't mean "I'll call everything in this area, and you call everything in that area." It means, "If the ball is in this area, I'll watch the player with the ball and the defender(s) on that player. You watch everything else. And, vice-versa."

Most of the time, the "everything else" is in the post area, no matter where the ball is.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Cover it in your pre-game! Find out what each official's philosophy is. If your partner is unfamiliar with you and/or you with him, tread lightly outside of your primary no matter what he/she says.

If something happens outside your area, and you see it, MAKE the call. Then, be the one that starts the conversation, "On that call I made in your area, I was 100% and..."

No matter what his "philosophy" is, you will then find out if he lied to you or not (i.e., does he REALLY care if you call something in his primary area, or not, if you are sure you saw it?) If he is receptive, continue on, if not, be careful. Even if my partner wasn't receptive to it, I'd tell him I'm still gonna make a call that I'm 100% sure on. My philosophy is "to get it right, regardless how we look."
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 04:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Your area.

Not trying to be funny, but what were you doing looking at something up top? If you are talking about calling something that is solely in your partners area and it is a call on the ball, you probably should have passed on it. If you are looking up there, what are you missing? I am in the minority on this it appears, but I do not feel that you should be calling things in others areas as a habit. Of course if it is a screen or something off ball, that is more acceptable, but it better not happen much more than once, because then you are not trusting your partner.

I did a 3 person (and there is more dual coverage area) in a camp a few years and I was the T and my partner made a call as the L right in front of me. He called something that I had a clear look at and I passed on it because it was no or very little contact. All the dribbler did was make a spin while the defender basically wiffed at an attempt at the ball. Now, I understand calling things that are obvious, but if you make a habit of calling things that are not in your area, then what is going on in yours?" It might be a little more important for you to catch what is right in front of you instead of going fishing across the court.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2000, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
This is the #1 reason we need a pregame. I want to know how much of his area, he wants me to help him on and I want him to know that he should feel free to blow the whistle when it is appropriate. Different officials feel differently and I want to know what that is.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame is the key. The goal is to get it right. What I usually say to my partners is if you're 100% absolutely positive you saw it and I didn't call it, come and get it. If you're only 99% sure stay away. Areas of responsibility are critical but in reality, a lot of the action takes place in those areas where dual coverage occurs or is on the border of areas of responsibility. The key is get the call right. Off ball coverage is critical also. If someone is making calls because both officials are watching the ball, then you have the potential for big problems. Cover areas in pre-game and then talk about situations concerning calling out of your area.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2000, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Read J Rutledges response again!! He has said it all .TRUST your partner- The only thing I would call near my partner's area is something I am positive he has not seen and then only when I am 150% sure.
Pistol